• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot open an .ai file last saved 12/19/2019

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open an .ai file I believe was last saved before my update to 2020 Adobe Illustrator.  I've tried going to "get info" aboutt file.  Shows is an .ai file, but only option to open with that shows up is Adobe Illustrator 2020.   I can not open by double clicking file. I can not open by dragging into illustrator.  I can no open by opening or importing inside Adobe Illustrator2020.  Any other suggestions

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the file open in Acrobat?

Is it just this file? Do other files open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  So far it is the only file I have found like that, however, there as an associated Adobe Character Animator saved .puppet which also will not open; I'm assuming only because the .ai won't.  I had other .ai and .puppet filed which were originally created in Adobe Illustrator 2019 which open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. You have mentioned that file was last saved on 12/19/2019. In addition to the questions asked earlier, would you mind sharing if you were able to open the file on the previous version of Adobe Illustrator? Also, please specify the exact version of the OS & Adobe Illustrator.
Are you able to open other files?

This information would help us understand the issue and assist you accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have the older version of Adobe Illustrator on my computer, but then why would the others created on the earlier version open?  Where can I get a safe and free copy of the older version of Adobe Illustrator 2019 which would have been used on 12/19/2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand now.  The others open because I must have opened them after the update but before the older version of the program was deleted from my computer to make space.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing the information. I agree with Jane's response here. You may share the file with us(if not sensitive). We'll be happy to take a look. You may upload the file on Creative Cloud(or any other cloud service you prefer) and share the link with us. You may also share it on DM if you would like. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS Catalina 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact error message is can not open due to format unrecognized, so assuming is due to no longer having old version of Illustrator.  Can you direct me where can download safely.   Don't trust sources have come across on internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download CC2019 from the Creative Cloud app. Two things though:

• CC2020 was released during Adobe MAX and as I recall, that was the first weekend of November last year.
  • CC2020 should be able to open files created in CC2019.

If you want to share the file in Creative Cloud, dropbox, etc., one of us can see if we can open it.

Can you open the file using the Preview app?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines