• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to sync my workspace to a new computer and I have to do what?!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got a new laptop, and I simply want to have the same settings on the new machine. After 5 minutes of app searching, and 5 minutes of Google searching, then 10 minutes of waiting for a chat representative, he tells me I need to go to my library folder and move a pref file from one location to another? Really? Oh yeah, and there WAS NO complimentary folder to drop it into on the new computer. So I gave up. I'll just rebuild the new copy with the settings I like. Oh I forgot to mention IT'S ALMOST THE YEAR 2020. 

Adobe, like are you kidding? CC is NOT CHEAP. How about a nifty "Sync settings" button or something? See? I just came up with that! Oh, and trying to do it on Photoshop is a WHOLE different thing using some arcane Windows 95 looking dialog box to move settings from one place to another - oh yeah, that didn't work for me either. 

Jokes aside, you guys should be a bit ashamed of yourselves.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just use Edit > My settings > Export and Edit > My settings> Import ?

Apart from that: if this is about different versions, you might get issues with migrating settings.

And then: these settings get into the User folder, which is hidden by default and depending on the kind of user account you have on that machine, it might even be further protected. So you might want to read the system documentation on how to access your user folder. You didn't tell us which system it is, so nobody can give you any details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW it was as simple as doing the export and import settings ^ . I was also looking for workspaces where they previously lived but this worked! 

thx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika. I called Adobe Support and was told I had to recreate my workspaces. Previously I moved them over from the old computer onto the new computer (same folder), but that did not work. That does work with After Effects though. Copying the workspace files also works with Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was beating my head against the wall for the same reason you were. The problem wasn't you--it was the interface. Seriously, how hard would it be to include the "export/import" item under Workspace > Manage Workspace? Or, better yet, WHY IS IT NOT SYNCING TO THE CLOUD?!? Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that it USED to sycn settings in Photoshop and Indesign, but that feature was removed.

Every new release, I have to set my laptop and desktop up to match from Adobe's default settings (I'm sorry migration hasn't worked in years, at least not for a Mac). Given the Adobe now apparently thinks we don't acutally want to use 80% of the tools, making the default workspaces completely baren (I'm sorry, but HOW do you work in InDesign w/o having the styles windows active?), every update is completely worthless till I spend half an hour reactivating tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > My settings > Export and Edit > My settings> Import 

does not work for you?

Here are the settings files: https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

They are mostly text files.

Copy them and put them where they belong.

As already mentioned: doing this with the preferences file itself might not be a good idea when updating. But you can always try - worst thing that canhappen is that it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't the point. The point is, I want to have what we used to have. If i setup a workspace, it would sync. If I changed the space, it would sync. As it stands now, when I work on a project, I have to constantly copy my spaces back and forth between my devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, please make a feature request. The forum is a public space and at least 95% of people (such as me) aren't even staff.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I alreayd have... just venting, hoping others will see and also put in their feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A gazillion feature requests don't help.

If youwant the engineers to even think about your request, you have toget a lot of people vote for it. You need numbers. So post the URL of your feature request and convince people to vote for it.

And next time you vent on this forum, please tell us you're just venting, so people don't waste (their and your) time with an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no such a menu anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@artserj  schrieb:

there is no such a menu anymore

I still have it in Illustrator 27.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some definite dissonance between "All of our apps are on the cloud! Store your files in the cloud!" and "Every time you use CC on a different computer, you MUST manually download and reupload settings to keep your customizations." Rolling back features is never a good look, but making it more difficult to work between devices (to say nothing of if a computer crashes) is retro in the worst way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not have been said any better. This feature is EXACTLY what cloud should be used for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is looking more and more like Apple; they elimininate useful features (like Ram/Hard Drive or Battery replacement) and a bunch of software feature and then they tell us that now we work better. 

I HATE that i have to re-learn shortcuts with each update just because they need a way to justify having new updates monthly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HATE that i have to re-learn shortcuts with each update just because they need a way to justify having new updates monthly.

By @VoiceTeam

Just which shortcuts are you referring to that have been changed over the last updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't name literally every shortcut changed because it doesn't happens like in EVERY update... but since they started with the CC 2020, every once in a while Photoshopchanges some of its shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines