• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustration Rotate Transform Handle Missing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue on and off for months now, but I can't seem to find any solutions or even anyone else who is having the same problem. My transform scale handles are still visible around the shape, but the rotate handles never appear no matter where I hold my mouse over the shape. I've tried toggling on and off the "Hide Bounding Box" option, but it doesn't help.

It works fine for some documents, and doesn't work for others. The only workaround I've found is to right-click > Transform > Rotate, but then I have to know the degree I want to rotate it to, and often I just want to eyeball it!

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Also, check if it may have to do something with the actual zoom level.

(Small) Objects that are zoomed out tend to lose the rotation cursor when you are trying to rotate them with the bounding box.

Either zoom in or use the Free Transform tool (default shortcut is E) in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with all shapes?

Which version and system is it?

Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Can you plase post a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! I should have said originally, it's only an issue with simple shapes. Compound shapes are fine.
I'm using version 24.2.
I don't have any third-party plugins.

I didn't initially post a screenshot because I can't screen shot the cursor, which defeats the whole point. See below.

Screenshot (165).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, check if it may have to do something with the actual zoom level.

(Small) Objects that are zoomed out tend to lose the rotation cursor when you are trying to rotate them with the bounding box.

Either zoom in or use the Free Transform tool (default shortcut is E) in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's not the zoom level. It makes no difference no matter how zoomed in or out I am.

Thank you for the tip on the Free Transform tool! That works fine and is a great work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your question was never really answered, despite being marked as "Answered".

I mistakenly hit COMMAND+SHIFT+B, and the scale/rotate handles stopped appearing when I selected shapes in my workspace. Hitting that combo again brought the handles back. Hopefully that relates to your issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only solution that works! Thank you so much Nick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you - thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked - thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-10-08 (4).png

 I was having the same problem and I don't know why the rotate cursor isn't showing up but I was still able to rotate the triangle in the picture. Ill explain how. While having the shape selected, I moved my cursornear the top right corner, a bit away from the corner as to not be in the outer blue square outline. I then right clicked down, after a second or to the cursor transformed into the rotation cursor and I was able to rotate. After right clicking, you basically just wait a second and then you are able to rotate even though at times the cursor looks like its still in the resize cursor mode. Hope this helps somebody! I found this solution by shear luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently this has started happening to me and this is the only advice that has helped. Thank you! Although it doesn't seem to work everytime unfortunately. Very odd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing Ctrl+G on the shaped helped me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - 

I JUST started to have this same issue.  I've tried all of the keystroke / CMD + options and none seem to work. Is this a new OS / Adobe issue?  It's SO annoying to not be able to ease through just basics.

Illustator 26.1 (Adobe CC)
Monterey OS 12.2.1

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I'm using Adobe Illustrator 2023. Is there a glitch in the program? When I hover my cursor over the corner of a bounding box, it never changes to the rotate arrow. IMG_4261.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me sometimes. Maybe when starting the program it works fine, but after a few hours it starts to fail. Very annoying thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem for a few version of AI. I am now using version 27.9. I keep expecting it to get fixed and it doesn't. Zoom level does not matter. Complex or simple doesn't matter. Sometimes I can rotate on left, sometimes, right, bottom, top, and other times i have to use the rotate tool and hovering the mouse near doesn't work. Is Adobe working on fixing this. It is odd that I cannot find many complaints online and i know me and my coworker both experience this. I am not sure what a screenshot would show you. 

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you read the complete thread, please answer the questions that have already been asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines