• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2019 crashes when opening or making a new file.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator crashes every time I open a file or make a new file in Illustrator.

I've read multiple forums about this problem and have tried all of the solutions that were featured, but none of them worked.

I've tried:

- Setting the default printer to Adobe PDF or Windows PDF

- Removing the Wacom tablet driver (as mentioned on the Adobe website)

- Updating my graphics card drivers

- Turning off the animated zoom option

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Illustrator

- Installing Illustrator 2018 and trying that

I have a Windows 10 64-bit version laptop and a NVIDIA graphics card

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

When uninstalling did you reset the preferences?

ALso: does this get better when you disconnect from the internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When uninstalling did you reset the preferences?

ALso: does this get better when you disconnect from the internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you reset the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this article How to set preferences in Illustrator  look for the restore preferences part, there are 2 options manual or shortcut based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Did you contact Adobe Tech support and submitted a crash report?

Share information about a crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't, but I'll try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, Can you mark the answer as correct to help others with the same query in the future?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same problem and tried all the solutions including resetting the preferences file. It works for a while, like a day, then the crashing resumes. The only extension / add-ons I have are from Astute Graphics. Many Many crash reports have been sent to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristie,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• OS (exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • Version of Illustrator
  • Where the files are saved(Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am on a Windows Surface Book, OS 10 (version 1809), files are saved to local hard drive, not to a server, not to an external drive. Version of Illustrator is version 22.1  I previously tried to update to current version but it had some many bugs, tools not working and was so slow I had to regress.  This constant crashing started within the last month, not sure exactly what day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Hi, I am on a Windows Surface Book, OS 10 (version 1809), files are saved to local hard drive, not to a server, not to an external drive. Version of Illustrator is version 22.1  I previously tried to update to current version but it had some many bugs, tools not working and was so slow I had to regress.  This constant crashing started within the last month, not sure exactly what day.

Is a printer connected and turned on?

If you don't have a printer, set up the PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have an HP printer connected via usb hub. I also have a Epson scanner connected via the usb hub.

I also have a WACOM tablet connected via direct usb on the Surface Book (because the Bluetooth connection with it has never worked)

I have had these same devices connected in the same way for several years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Yes, I have an HP printer connected via usb hub. I also have a Epson scanner connected via the usb hub.

I also have a WACOM tablet connected via direct usb on the Surface Book (because the Bluetooth connection with it has never worked)

I have had these same devices connected in the same way for several years now.

A system update might change anything. Is the printer still the default printer?

Is it turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The connected HP printer is turned on, and was turned on during all the crashes.

Illustrator print dialog was defaulting to a different printer, one that is not connected. The OS was defaulting to a different printer that is not currently connected. So I have changed the OS default printer back to the HP printer that I do have connected. I also selected this printer in the Print dialog in Illustrator, printed a page, closed Illustrator and relaunched Illustrator. The correct printer still shows up as the default in the Print dialog box after relaunching Illustrator, so that is good.

There have been a number of Windows 10 updates in the last month or so. It may have changed the default system printer.

But why would that make Illustrator crash, what is the connection? Does Illustrator commit so many resources to searching for a printer that it crashes? If it cannot connect to a printer a simple error dialog box would seem to be the reasonable action.

In any case I will see if this default printer change prevents Illustrator from crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the forums we don't know why, we only know that a missing, wrong, turned off or otherwise unreachable printer can cause crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Illustrator freezes when opening an existing file or trying to save a new file. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6 and save to the local hard drive. I've tried with Illustrator 23.0.3 and 22.1. I have the same issue with both versions. The crashing started suddenly and I've tried everything mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I am having the same issue. Illustrator freezes when opening an existing file or trying to save a new file. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6 and save to the local hard drive. I've tried with Illustrator 23.0.3 and 22.1. I have the same issue with both versions. The crashing started suddenly and I've tried everything mentioned above.

Is a printer connected and turned on?

If not, connect a printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erika,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this issue. As you mentioned that you have already tried resetting preferences, please check how it works in Hidden Admin Account(How to enable the hidden Windows 10 administrator account - gHacks Tech News ). If it works fine there please try these steps (Preferences folder read-only error | Permissions issue ) and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after re-setting the default printer to the correct one Illustrator has not crashed. Almost one day with no crashing. So I hope the printer setting was the problem.

However, it would be nice if Adobe would provide an explanation for how how and why Illustrator crashes on the default printer issue: And

Thank you,

Kristie Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lost some of my message -

However, it would be nice if Adobe would provide an explanation for how and why Illustrator crashes on the default printer issue. This was not an issue in previous years, so some code was changed to cause this. When will the fix be available?

Thank you

Kristie Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kristies54048660  schrieb

This was not an issue in previous years, so some code was changed to cause this. When will the fix be available?

It has been an issue for at least 12 years.

Please post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com as that is the place where the engineers read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have never had this issue before. Since 1998. Just lucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither. But there are countless threads on the forum.

Lacking a printer should definitely not cause crashes apart from that. So please post to uservoice if you can spend a few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines