• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2019 crashing on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the most recent version of Windows yesterday (10-3-19) and I'm not 100% sure if that's what's causing the issue with Illustrator, but everytime I try to open Illustrator it crashes on startup. The reason I'm not sure the Windows update is the issue is because I hadn't used Illustrator for at least a week or so prior to yesterday. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of AI and tried installing the 2018 version too, but nothing seems to be fixing the issue.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes could be. We have consolidated possible solutions that could help in fixing these issues and how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually just found a solution FINALLY, I found someone's suggestion in a Quora forum that fixed the issue. Below is his suggestion: 

"I know this sounds weird, but the problem might be in your default printer settings on your computer.

To try fixing thing, go to your windows settings (not illustrator, but windows). Search for default printer, then select your windows to PDF printer as your default. And that's all!

It strange how it works, but it does and it did for me and lots of others online! So try it before doing other drastic stuff"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having crashing issues with the latest version as well.  I bought a new laptop this week and used it for the first time last night.  The only thing other than Dropbox that I have installed is Adobe Illustrator.  Every time I try to import a file or make changes to anything in Adobe Illustrator, it crashes.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice and have shut down and restarted.  Nothing is fixing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the printer settings fix, or switching the version of Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Let's make this right. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

We are here to help, just need more information.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Una volta individuati gli errori all'interno del Visualizzatore eventi, in che modo bisogna procedere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running on win 10 version 1809.

Crashes after the KB4524148 update today (october 4th 2019) too.

Just uninstalled this update and it works again like a charm without touching the default printer.

Hope that this is of any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil,

We’re so sorry to hear about this. This has been reported by a few other users as well. I would request if you can take a minute and share this issue on our UserVoice page: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/.

Also, please share crash logs generated from Application and Event Viewer as suggested above. All this information will help us investigating this issue and resolve it as soon as possible.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue. I'm running Win 10 v1803, but on October 4th I got update KB4524149 and my Illustrator wouldn't open files. Once I uninstalled the update, Illustrator works normally again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual suspects for crashes on startup are corrupt preferences, printer drivers, fonts, 3rd party plug-ins, graphic drivers.  It's a little more rare, but sometimes another application entierly (sometimes running in the background) can be the cause of the crash.

Have you tried deleting or moving the preferences file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did remove the preferences when I uninstalled Illustrator and that didn't fix the issue, but I got it resolved another way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got new laptop this month and Illustrator lasted about twenty-thirty minutes before crashing on me while in middle of working on my project. I even took it to IT Department which they informed there is nothing wrong with my computer but rather adobe could be behind on Microsoft updates and they check the viewing logs and there is a error with adobe but they couldn't track it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not updating Illustrator at this point until Adobe fixes the issue; I shouldn't have to reconfigure my system to take care of an issue with the software. Version 23.1 crashes within seconds of launching (two different installations on 2 different computers had the same behavior). I uninstalled, rebooted, and installed the older version 23.0.6, which is what I will stick to until I hear that the issue has been resolved and it's safe to upgrade. Sorry I didn't keep crash reports; I understand that is helpful in tracking down the problem. Any updates from Adobe? I am on PC platform, Windows 10; none of my other Adobe programs are experiencing issues (Photoshop, InDesign, XD, Acrobat, Bridge, DreamWeaver, Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm new to Adobe and was very excited to try the products. Installed Illustrator and downloaded a cool template from Stock. Had an immediate crash. So since my new HP Spectre is only a week old, I updated all the drivers. Crash and burn again. Ok I hit Google hard... there seems to be lots of crashing with this. Day 3 into my 7-day free trial and I'm thinking this is not worth a subscription. I develop code everyday and I know this company is just continuing to build over an old outdated code base. These issues aren't going away but I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure Illustrator CC2019 is the issue here.  I use it daily along with Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro and InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So I'm new to Adobe and was very excited to try the products. Installed Illustrator and downloaded a cool template from Stock. Had an immediate crash."

And you are using Illustrator CC2019? Why not 2020?

Does the crash also happen when you create a new file?

"I know this company is just continuing to build over an old outdated code base."

So you had a look at the code? Interesting - how did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were having issues with the final version of Adobe Illustratror CC 2019. It was crashing. We uninstalled and installed the previous version (also CC 2019, but an earlier release). We used that until CC 2020 came out and now have upgraded to CC 2020 and it has not been crashing, so likely there was an issue with the final release of CC 2019. I suggest you upgrade and test CC 2020 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been very frustrated trying to get this to work. I uninstalled Illustrator and reinstalled and made sure it's  2020. Still unusable at this point. In fact, it's worse because it crashes and freezes now. I really really would love to get it working but no go so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've been very frustrated trying to get this to work."

So the crash is happening no matter what you do? Or is it still related to that stock image?

When uninstalling did you delete the preferences and run the Adobe Cleaner tool?

Please tell us when exactly Illustrator crashes: when launching? When handling files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it wasn't "outdated code".  Very good to know!

Here's a helpful Adobe Help article for anyone who's faced with a similar issue in the future:

Adobe Illustrator User Guide > Workflow > Safe Mode workflow

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/safe-mode-illustrator-diagnostic-startup-tests.html

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did call in yesterday and have a tech work on my laptop while I was working on my work PC. It looked like he ran through all of the same suggestions that I found online. He reinstalled Illustrator a couple of times and still did not fix it. He eventually maually downloaded a version of the program and installed it. That seemed to contain the necessary fixes for the current issue. And yes there is a lot of old outdated code in play. "Outdated code" isn't exclusively an Adobe issue. It's across the industry. It's a natural part of the software life-cycle especially when it comes to the bohemoths like Adobe and Microsoft. Adobe has been in the process of porting their code from 32 bit to 64 bit architecture since 2008. And right now they have 32 bit shared components that still need to be completed. Apple leads the was of course in mandating 64 bit code. I think they are at 100%.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing but it did not solved the problem for me. Its unfortanate that we have to make changes in settings in our operating system to accomadate this issue. Adobe should be able to resolve by now with so many crash reports.

But lucky you hahahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes could be. We have consolidated possible solutions that could help in fixing these issues and how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks  a bunch!!!!! Was frustrated for 2 straight days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines