Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020/ 2019 crashing on launch

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had an issue with illustrator yesterday and I now I cannot open ANY version of it - it keeps crashing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled every version and it will not stop crashing. I can't open files, I can't start new files and it's driving me insane.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Im losing patience with this at this stage.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

thank you Monika, Ill get that done ASAP.

Many thanks

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

We have been waiting for your response to this query. Please update the discussion if the issue is resolved or if you have any further query. We'd be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences when uninstalling/installing?

Every version is CC2019 and 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. I've installed all versions available to me on CC and uninstalled all versions. 

I've restarted a mumber of times to and rest the preferences. The latest one seems to working ok at the moment (which was obviously going to happen as soon as i posted). It just seems really unstable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several places with Illustrator preferences (this is quoted from a post about older versions, obviously, so please look for the new ones)

This could happen because of corrupt Preferences so would you mind trying the steps here to manually reset the Preferences and let us know it it works out.

Close all Adobe applications.
Go to locations
~/Library/Caches
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
~/Library/Preferences
Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings.old
Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

And also:

Close Illustrator.
Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator 23 Settings folder to Illustrator 23 Settings folder.old
Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
Go back to library->open caches->rename com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator 23 folder to Illustrator 23 folder.old

If it still doesn't work, please contact Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Monika, Ill get that done ASAP.

Many thanks

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. If  it is still not working, I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• Exact version of Illustrator and operating system
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 

Check how the application works on a different user account. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors for your user account: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been waiting for your response to this query. Please update the discussion if the issue is resolved or if you have any further query. We'd be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Srishti, I did as suggested and things seemed to have been working for the past few days. Apologies for the late reply.

Kind  regards

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines