Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 (24.0.3) view stuck on one window on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm having an issue since I updated Illustrator 24.0.3. Quite often when I open two or more projects/tabs, my window will only display the original tab that I opened. I can see the layers for each window when I click on each project, however the project window itself doesn not open. To resolve this, I usually have to close all projects, quit Illustrator, and reopen my files until it happens again. 

The attached image shows four different situations whereby I click on a tab, but the window display stays the same. 

Any guidance would be much appreciated! 

(Moved to the correct forum, Illustrator, by Mod JSM)

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 (24.0.3) view stuck on one window on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm having an issue since I updated Illustrator 24.0.3. Quite often when I open two or more projects/tabs, my window will only display the original tab that I opened. I can see the layers for each window when I click on each project, however the project window itself doesn not open. To resolve this, I usually have to close all projects, quit Illustrator, and reopen my files until it happens again. 

The attached image shows four different situations whereby I click on a tab, but the window display stays the same. 

Any guidance would be much appreciated! 

(Moved to the correct forum, Illustrator, by Mod JSM)

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody help?

Since my last updates, when I am opening and closing mutiple files created by myself and saved on my mac, for no apparent reason, a viewed file will look the same as another file previously left open, even though they have a completely different name and content. When this happens, illustrator becomes useless. Even if I close any file open and try to go to create a new document, illustrator does not respond, I cannot continue working on it, so requiring a quit and restart, which is becoming somewhat annoying.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

OS 10.15.3 (Catalina)

ai 24.0.3 (Using CC)

Any help or ideas welcome to stop this from happening. 

Cheers

{Renamed By MOD}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. This is unusual behavior with Illustrator. I would request if you can confirm a few more details like:

1. Do you have more than one version of Illustrator installed on your computer?
  2. Is it happening only with Illustrator or with other applications as well?
  3. If this is happening with multiple files and only with Illustrator, I'd recommend resetting the preferences for Illustrator by following the steps below:
  • Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, only have 1 version installed, unless updates remain somewhere, I'm not very tech oriented, so don't delve in to these things. It has only been happening to illustrator (my mainly used app) that I've noticed, not seen it on PS and I rarely use much else for it to matter.

I will try following your pref rebuild instructions, thanks for those and report back over the next day or so.

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick update, I tried rebuilding the prefs but this has not appeared to have helped. The problem still persists that when I open a few documents, at some point, a file being opened, looks the same as an already open document on the desktop even though the file name is correct, the content is not. I then cannot close docs down and reopen, I have to quit illustrator and relaunch it to be able to use again.

This is quite a frustrating issue and I'm not sure what to try, so any clever tech heads out there with any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear from you.

I only use the Mac at work, I don't install random software, I don't download music or movies to it, it is used purely for Adobe CC and a bit of internet use for websites etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. Could you please try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried booting the system to safe mode as suggested and could not recreate my problem, I then rebooted the mac back to normal operating and the problem was easily recreated by opening 4 or 5 illustrator files. Excuse my ignorance, as I know this will point to something, but what?

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We start the system in safe mode so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there may be some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the Illustrator. Do you use any third-party plugins with Illustrator? If yes, please check if they are up to date or else uninstall and check again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the info.

I don't use any third party plug ins, I have Kaspersky on my mac, which is up to date, but I have also tried running ai without Kaspersky turned on and get the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
tlaakso LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem and have been for like two years. The view window get stuck on one of the file tabs and when clicking between all the tabs it sticks to one. It's super random and most definetly a program glitch. It's happened to me on multiple machines. Some with two versions installed, older macbook pros, 2019 macbook pro brand new and installed having the same issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Please share the version of OS as well.
I'd recommend resetting the preferences once. Please follow instructions on help article 

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences to do that.

*Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to.
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue in illustrator, I tried resetting the prefs but this did not help

OS 10.15.3

ai 24.0.3

It's very frustrating, quitting and re launching several times per day.

Any ideas on how to get over this would be great.

Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, Please turn off the GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance.
Let us know if it helps you out. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AshutoshRox, my bad, I forgot to mention I had already done that, it didn't help. I had done it before I tried resetting the prefs.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sorry to hear about this frustrating issue. I would request if you an share a few more details like:

1. Screenshot of video of the the process.
  2. Screenshot of display settings (System Preferences> Displays).
    display settings.png
  3. SPX file for system information.
    > Go to Apple Menu
    > About this Mac
    > System Report
    > Click Save in top menu
    > Save the SPX file with your name to Creative Cloud
    > Share the download link.
    how to share spx.gif

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I appreciate you trying to help.

here's the link for the spx file

https://adobe.ly/38imdBh

also see images below, I get the relaunch cloud occuring a lot, 

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 09.46.23.pngScreenshot 2020-02-11 at 10.25.41.pngScreenshot 2020-02-11 at 10.25.41.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. I have forwarded it to our Product team and they are looking into it. Till the time it is fixed, you may try installing previous version and continue working. 

Also, please upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/36633178-switching-betw...) and stay tuned for updates. 

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your macs general preference, you may have the problematic dark mode on.macos-catalina-system-prefs-general-dark-mode.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have dark mode on MikeGondek, but thanks for the suggestion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines