Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 Can't finish preview

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I have a Macbook and a desktop Mac. When trying to apply a gradient, my file suddenly turned to outline mode. When I try to change it back, it says "Can't Finish Preview". I've tried opening the file on both of my computers to no avail. I've also restarted Ilustrator and my computers. This is for work so the sooner this is solved, the better.

Community Beginner
Correct answer by laraeh | Community Beginner

It seems like the issue was the gradient itself. I deleted the last few posts I was working on and now I'm able to see everything else. So the underlying issue still isn't solved but I may have found a workaround that'll do for now. I hope Adobe fixes this problem soon! I came across many others who are having this issue without any solutions. Thanks for your help, Doug_A_Roberts!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 Can't finish preview

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I have a Macbook and a desktop Mac. When trying to apply a gradient, my file suddenly turned to outline mode. When I try to change it back, it says "Can't Finish Preview". I've tried opening the file on both of my computers to no avail. I've also restarted Ilustrator and my computers. This is for work so the sooner this is solved, the better.

Community Beginner
Correct answer by laraeh | Community Beginner

It seems like the issue was the gradient itself. I deleted the last few posts I was working on and now I'm able to see everything else. So the underlying issue still isn't solved but I may have found a workaround that'll do for now. I hope Adobe fixes this problem soon! I came across many others who are having this issue without any solutions. Thanks for your help, Doug_A_Roberts!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also tried resetting my preferences, which also has not helped. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a single specific file, or all files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just this one file!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of object is it?

Does it work if you copy the object to a new file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a social media calendar for a client. I was adding a gradient over an image to make the text more readable. I tried copying my work to a new file and am still having the same issue. I've attached a screenshot!Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-24 at 10.33.08 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What object are you applying the gradient to?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a rectangle shape that I'm putting over an image!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem. i am running 24.1.3 on OS Mojave 10.14.6 - complex file with DCS images can not render preview. switches to outline 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I have a Macbook pro 2019 (almost exactly 1 year old) running Catalina. Got the "Can't Finish Preview" when trying to add a stroke to text outlines. I use illustrator every day and haven't had this problem before, and the operation I was trying to do is relatively simple. No other programs are open on my computer. Recently upgraded to newest illustrator 2020 version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your issue is not with gradients?

Please create a new thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laraeh, Has your problem been solved? Please provide me with the method if you skip it. and Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
laraeh LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that finding and deleting the problem shape, normally whatever I was working on when I got the error message, got rid of the problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0