• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 constantly crashing on brand new Macbook Pro 16"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the new 16 inch Macbook Pro less than 2 weeks ago and am having major issues with Illustrator that I've never experienced before. Every single day, Illustrator has crashed on me and I receive the pop up window that it "unexpectedly crashed" and it reopens my recovered files and asks me to send the error report to Adobe (which I do every single time). This is extremely irritating and time consuming and strangely enough never happened on my 2015 Macbook Pro.

Can someone please advise?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cassie,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd recommend turning off the GPU Performance through Preferences > Performance.

I am also attaching a screenshot as well for your reference:

Screenshot_14.png

Let us know if this makes a difference.

I would request if you can share the crash report by following the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html

While submitting the crash report use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

Also, if you are using any plugin or extensions, please try removing them and share your observations.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue over the last few weeks. Random crashes, usually several times a day. Also strange errors like "cannot preview" and "not enough ram". I have 32gb of ram and 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9. Illustrator ran smoother on my 15 inch i7 Macbook Pro with 16gb of ram...

Most usually the recovery files work, but iv also lost alot of work from when it has not. 

@AshutoshRox - isnt the GPU performance feature an imporant part of using illustrator? I just read this article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

I've tried since mid January to use this solution and it does not work. Even with the GPU Performance box unchecked, my Illustrator, In Design and Photoshop program all continue to crash constantly throughout the day. It's to the point that the crashing happens up to 10 times per day. This isn't a solution and is an extremely poor user experience.

This has also led to many duplicate files on my hard drive due to the "Recovered" file being opened and created upon each crash and re-launch. Can you please advise?

I don't feel that stepping back to Adobe CC 2019 is a viable solution. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally came across a solution that looks to have worked. There seems to be numerous issues with the new macbook pro 16" and illustrator which is causing random crashes.. after multiple support conversations with no resolution, coming across this seems to have stopped the crashes.. well at least for the last 24 hours.. previosuly they were happening multiple times a day.

I also saw this thread with the same problem https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-2020-keeps-crashing-on-macos-catalina/m-p/109... but can't seem to reply on this with the workaround mentioned  here.

if disabling the GPU perforamnce is the workaround.. what is causing this issue and when can it be resolved ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I totally believe I have the same problems with my new purchased Macbook Pro 16 inch. Every program like: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator even Adobe Acrobat crashes all the time. Today I wasn't even able to open a windo in Acrobat and it crashes within 2 minutes again. I unselected the GPU performance in every program but it seems not to work. My InDesign document of 4 pages even crashes when I copy one sentence of text.

In the blog After Effect I have read about people are downgrading Adobe CC 2020 to 2019. At this moment I already have many projects made in 2020, in which way can I downgrade them as well to 2019?

System of my MacBook:

MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019

Processor 2,3 GHz 8-core Intel Core I9

Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Videocard Intel UHD Graphics 630 1534 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried disabling GPU performance in Illustrator and it did nothing. Ironcially crashed the VERY next time I saved something. It seems to crash mostly when I save a file and close the window. Also with GPU performanace unchecked the program moves INCREDIBLY slowly. Trying to move the screen around is like something out of the 90s era. This is def not a "fix". Anyone having any other luck with a solution?

Thanks.

Macbook Pro 16

Catalina 10.15.3

32GB RAM

1 GIG HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - 16" MacBook pro crashes constantly with Photoshop / Illustrator and InDesign. I have tried everything, including reinstalling all three. I am going to try disabling automatic graphics switching and see how it goes as mentioned on another thread.Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 2.54.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I turned that off as well, so we'll see how it goes. Also I just granted Illustrator full disk access (which was a solution from another post), so we'll see if the combo of these 2 helps at all. Ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been haing the same problem on my brand new MBP!

Crashes multiple times every single day.

I'm completley at my wit's end and have had absolutely zero helpful feedback from Adobe.

Why are we paying through the nose for this?!?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, the second I hit the "Post" button on my reply, a crash notification hit my screen. 

What a piece of garbage!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All. 

I was (and to a degree still am) having this issue. But what helped tremendously was giving Illustator full disk access in the System Preferences. Go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Full Disk Access and click Adobe Illustrator. This stopped about 90% of the crashes. I was crashing like 20 times a day at least and the program was basically unusable. Now it only crashes occasiaonally (still too often) and generally when it crashes it's upon wake up.

Hope this helps!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE! For the amount of time I have lost, they should be paying us. Time is money and I spend more time dealing with program crashes and my work unable to be recovered 9 out of 10 times even though I have auto restore on.  Extremely frustrating when having to rely on a companmy and program to get work done. Every time there is an update it just gets worse.  If you don't update the program becomes laggy. I have never been more dissapointed in adobe since cc launched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME F'IN PROBLEM. Over the past several months,  Adobe apps (Illustrator in particular) crash at least a few times a day. I am using a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with 32GB ram 2.6GHz 6-Core. F YOU ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off Automatic graphic switching?

And can you try if it helps when you set the monitor profile to AppleRGB in the system preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG GLAD THAT I’M NOT ALONE. I just got a new 15” MacBook Pro with OS Catalina early this month and it has been a serious pain in the ass to work with Illustrator 2020.

This has happened multiple times on different documents I’m working on. With no rainbow wheel in sight, it would crashed abruptly at random, and once the recovery document is opened, links are all missing and damaged that I have to do it one by one again, even when both the artwork and all the linked files are on System HDD. I’ve also submitted the report multiple times via the pop-up and hopefully Adobe will take serious consideration in fixing it ASAP!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my whole Creative Cloud and all the apps and I've had MUCH better luck. I haven't had a crash incident in a couple months. I have no idea what changed but I don't even mess with the GPU Performance settings. It seems to have fixed itself and I don't run into any issues any longer.  Let me know if I can share any settings or anything with you! I can take screen shots if that is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cassie and Michelle,

I've been having the same issue as everyone on this page and I bought my MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM very recently. I don't believe anything should be crashing at all with this amount of RAM! Can you please post some screen shots of how you fixed this issue?

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We're extremely sorry to hear about this trouble. I understand how frustrating it could be. To update CC apps, please follow the steps shared here (Do not select Auto update, try installing manual updates).

If that doesn't help, try the steps shared on this similar discussion and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a brand new MacBook Pro 16", 32GB Ram, running OS 10.15.6 for 2 weeks now and am having the same problems across the board - Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop constantly crash. This MacBook Pro was an upgrade from my early 2009 iMac that never crashed. I was not expecting to have any issues, let alone this many with the Adobe products on a newer, nicer machine...but it is happening multiple times a day. I just gave full HD access thru System Preferences for all three...hopefully this helps.

Regards,

Josh Ballard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! 2021 (less than a month old) Macbook Pro here and Adobe ANYTHING crashes constantly. Can barely use InDesign at all. Just highlighting text seems to freeze it up. Copying text is an almost guaranteed crash. PS crashes when ANY other Adobe program is open (including Bridge) and Illustrator is a mess. I'm pulling my hair out at this point. Not to mention the touch bar constantly is where I rest my fingers when reading. I'm so disappointed by all of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To solve the crashing you could contact Customer Care and they can login to your system to check it out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

The position of the Touch Bar is nothing anyone can do anything about, I assume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing the same thing and it's infuriating! So much for a brand new "increible" MacBook Pro! 😞 In addition it WILL NOT load my Adobe Creative Cloud fonts. HUGE HUGE foul up!!!! Not sure if it's on Apple or Adobe, but my business is suffering because of these conflicts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines