Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 crashes every time system goes to sleep mode on macOS

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time my new MBP goes to sleep, Illustrator 2020 24.0.1 crashes...every single time. Tried renaming the settings folder as noted in another thread, but this combination 2019 MBP 16 inch and AI 24.0.1 is unusable. I've never had an issue with my 2015 MBP, and Illustrator, seems to be an issue only with the new MBPs with the following graphics:

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Anyone else having this issue? I've also had it kill upon opening EPS files, but only every couple of times. 

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue. We tried but unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. I would request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39578656-random-crashing-24-0-3) and share the required information in comments. This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.  

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 crashes every time system goes to sleep mode on macOS

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time my new MBP goes to sleep, Illustrator 2020 24.0.1 crashes...every single time. Tried renaming the settings folder as noted in another thread, but this combination 2019 MBP 16 inch and AI 24.0.1 is unusable. I've never had an issue with my 2015 MBP, and Illustrator, seems to be an issue only with the new MBPs with the following graphics:

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Anyone else having this issue? I've also had it kill upon opening EPS files, but only every couple of times. 

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue. We tried but unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. I would request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39578656-random-crashing-24-0-3) and share the required information in comments. This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.  

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem:

Everytime my laptop goes to sleep or when just the screen turns off, when i return, Illustrator has systematically quit. 

As mentionned, everytime i re-open it will prompt me with a report to send and a saved copy, but this is becoming ridiculous now.

Only difference with the original poster is that im on a mac and all up to date:

MacBookPro 16'

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 Go

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 Mo

macOS 10.15.2

Illustrator 24.0.1

Anything I can provide to troubleshoot what is happening?

Thanks!

{Renamed by MOD}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening on all files, newly created or old.

Often happens when I try to open a file, also when I put the computer to sleep and wake it up it will have crashed during this time, rregardless of any files being open.

I'm running OS 10.15.1

All files saved to my computer hard drive.

Has hapened with all file types, but I'm mostly workign with .ai files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. Please following these steps and share your observations:

1. Reset Preferences: -
  • Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

2. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which is conflicting with the Illustrator.

3. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

4. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the folders worked like a charm. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue in Illustrator 24.0.3

Step 1 had no effect.

Step 2 worked, as in it worked fine without extensions. It was BitDefender antivirus which caused the issue. I temporarily disabled it and Illustrator started up without any issues. Re-enabling BitDefender (after starting Illustrator once successfully) doesn't appear to prevent it from starting anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Number one worked for me. I'm using Adobe 23 (2019) on a Mac 10.14.6 (Mojave). At least for now....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the latest update on 11/22/19 (v. 24.0.1), every time my computer goes into sleep move, Illustrator crashes. I've tried un-installing/re-installing, restarting my computer, etc. and I'm at a loss of what could be the issue. Illustrator does occionally crash when I'm working in a large file, but recently, after the update, it's been crashing everytime it's in sleep mode which is causing me to lose unsaved work. Thanks so much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind resetting the preferences of the Illustrator once?
You may follow the steps provided on link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.
Let us know if it helps.

You may also share the crash logs following the instrcutions provided on the link below:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. Could you please share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html 
  2. Do you have a dual graphics card?
  3. Please try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-modeand see if the application works fine in safe mode.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Illustrator 2020 and 2019 all up to date and they both crashing EVERY time Macbook Pro 2019 goes to sleep.

Sometimes it's already crashed when I wake up computer and sometimes it crashes within a minute of waking up.

Running Catalina 10.15.2

Been sending crash reports everytime.

Hopefully there's a fix soon.

This is ridiculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

We're so sorry to hear about this issue. I checked the crash report submitted by you. Looks like Illustrator is force quitting in Sleep Mode by the operating system. The crash report also shows that you are using Plugins from Astute (VectorFirstAid, VectorScribe). I would suggest if you can try removing these plugins and check if that helps to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issues with the same macOS version. In addition, sometimes I am simply working on a doc and the AI interface goes haywire and the only way to continue working is to close and reopen AI.

Band new 16" MacBook pro with 2TB drive and 64GB RAM and I am working on pretty basic graphics, so I don't think it's a resources issue.

I've submitted numerous crash reports. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this. Could you please share a few more details? For example,

• Exact version of Illustrator
  • Which Graphic card is installed on your system?
  • Does it happen in Presentation Mode or in normal Preview as well?

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 25.0.1

Brand new MacBook Pro 16" with 64GB RAM, 2TB HD and latest Catalina OS.

In the System report, two graphics cards are listed

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB (PCIe)

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB (Built in)

I am not an Illustrator expert so I don't know about Presentation mode vs. normal preview. It does say GPU preview in my document tabs. I just found presentation mode and I have never used it before so I don't know if it happens there too. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I've been submitting crash reports with my contact info almost every day

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps I shared in response to Matt? If yes, than we need to troubleshoot this further on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. Still crashed. crash report is under paul at deitel dot com. Do I need to shut down illustrator first when I make a preferences change? I made the change, put my machine to sleep, then it crashed immediately when I resumed. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, it's a lot more than this problem. I am working with relatively simple graphics. There appears to be a memory leak in Illustrator. If I open and close a bunch of files over a couple of hours, eventually the whole interface gets corrupted and it crashes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I just bought a new Macbook Pro (16") with a Catalina and a fresh install of Illustrator. Now, Illustrator keeps crashing while the Mac sleeps during the night. It's really annoying and I hope that it'll be fixed soon.

I rely on Illustrator for work and have been a paying customer for years, I can't understand how it can be this unstable. We're really in need of an update here!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator 24 for days on my Macbook (sleeping several times throuout the day and of course the night). No problems with that, but also: it's not Catalina.

Catalina has issues with sleeping. You might want to investigate that first.

If you need someone to check out your Adobe installation:

Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. EVERY time my computer sleeps not only Illustraotr 2020 crashes, but so does InDesign 2020. I ALWAYS submit the reports but frankly, I'm sick of it. I'm also running 10.15.2. Another issue I'm tired of is that the applications frequently lose the ability to use key shortcuts, even down to the spacebar for moving around the page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're so sorry to hear about the crashing. I understand that's really frustrating. We are currently investigating this issue. I have sent you a DM for some more details, please check.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my spacebar shortcut is being disabled all the time... It's so annoying!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"my spacebar shortcut is being disabled all the time... It's so annoying!"

Search for interfering apps, extensions, plugins.

Shut down everything, do a restart and then launch only Illustrator. No (!) other processes, no browser, no system exentsions, no remote control, no banking software, whatever. Does it work then?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the crashing. I understand that's really frustrating. We are currently investigating this issue. I have sent you a DM for some more details, please check.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI crashes when my computer goes to sleep, everytime. . ??? running AI version 24.0.4

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Macbook Pro 16 as well and fully loaded.  Illustrator was crashing constently. I updated to the new 24.0.3 and hasn't crashed since and it's been about a week now. I also changed my screen saver to never go to sleep when i updated since there might be issues when it goes to sleep.  I have yet to try it while the sleep option is enabled, but at least now it seems WAY more stable. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated as well and it crashed again for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, Russ. Please feel free to message us back if you need any additional help.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry to hear about this. I understand how frustrating it could be. I have sent you a DM for some details, please check.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still crashing when it goes to sleep. Really sucks to have to keep the computer on all the time, since I always have Illustrator projects open. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me too - brand new mac. Illustrator started crashing within an hour after I downloaded it - it was litteraly the first piece of software I put on the computer. No plugins, no anti virus etc... I have had customer care take control over my computer - they dont see it crash and say its fixed - then it crashe later on. Crashes are random - but also often when computer goes to sleep and wakes back up. Somtiems once a day, sometimes many times a day. No real pattern. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn’t describe it better

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have identical specs on a new MacBook Pro 16".  This is happening to me every time computer sleep.  Illustrator quits.  You posted your problem more than 2 months ago and this is obviously still a problem.  Was anyone at Adobe able to help you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, the display drivers are up-to-date when the OS is up to date.  In my case, I was completely up to date so the solution above did not solve my problem.

I just spent some time with Adobe support to see if they have a resolution for this issue yet.  Here are the steps they walked me through:

1. Open System Preferences --> Engergy Saver
  2. Uncheck "Automatic Graphics Switching"
  3. Re-check "Automatic Graphics Switching"

I then tried sleeping my computer and Illustrator was still there after waking it back up again.  Sample size of 1 attempt, but so far so good!

Apparently this has something to do with having two graphics cards, each with a different amount of memory.  Just before the computer goes to sleep, it switches from the GPU to the integrated GPU, which Illustrator can't handle.  Not sure why, but unchecking and the re-checking the System setting above seems to fix the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... Illustrator keeps crashing every time I re-open my mbp 16'. I tried the energy save workaround mentionned above. But it did not change anything for me... 

I'm still having big troubles in my daily creative work. This is two weeks I am trying to contact the support team... Chat is always busy, phone is busy.... I am very disappointed by such a lack of assistance. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of threads about this on the Apple forum (not covering Illustrator).

This might be interesting where the Apple engineers apparently ask for Crash logs so they could isolate any issue on their end. Seems to be bigger than just Illustrator ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250729807

So have you already contacted Apple?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have worked on the first test. Hopefully we can continue the streak! thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro 16" with Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.

Have tried the solution with "Open System Preferences --> Engergy Saver"
But that didn't help!

Someone who has some other solutions for this?
Is it an adobe problem or mac problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of threads about it in Apple forums, so it might be (also) an Apple problem. Contacting them won't hurt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem. Here are my laptop's specs. When I uncheked GPU performance it fixed but super laggy, performance went down dramtically. It only happens to Illustrator other adobe softwares are ok, at the time photoshop and after effects were on but didn't crash. All of my adobe cc softwares are up to date. Please fix this, I keep losing my work.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.41.55 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest this problem isn't fixed until the Energy Saver preference can be on withouth Illustrator crashing. So for now, its a work around but for as long as its been a problem, not expeciting it to be fixed soon. I'm trying to leave the Energy Saver pref on, and have turned off the GPU performance in Ilustrator to see if that works. So far so good. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 16"
Turn off (Automatic graphics switching) System Preferences > Energy Saver

Solved the problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try turning off the GPU Performance and see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

About EPS files, is it happening with a specific file or with all EPS files?

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashutosh. That is an improvement based on the short sampling overnight and today. I'll keep an eye on the EPS issue as well. That happens occasionally on the double-click of an EPS icon, I'll instantly look at the AI icon on the dock and the dot will be gone signifying the program is still open. That happens instantaneously.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue with system crashes upon sleep. Same 2019 MBP 16 inch, 64 GB memory, 2.4 GHz i9, AMD Radeon 5500M, and Intel UHD Graphics 630. Will try disabling GPU Performance. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake and Ed,

We're so sorry to hear about this issue. I would request if you can share the crash report by following the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html

While submitting the crash report use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

Also, if you are using any plugin or extensions, please try removing them and share your observations.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently investigating this issue. I have sent you a DM for some more details, please check.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having same issue. I have sent over a dozen crash reports. Sometimes it crashes once a day, and somtimes multiple times a day. Isnt having the GPU performance tuned on an important featuer of Illustrator? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent some time with Adobe support to see if they have a resolution for this issue yet.  Here are the steps they walked me through:

1. Open System Preferences --> Engergy Saver
  2. Uncheck "Automatic Graphics Switching"
  3. Re-check "Automatic Graphics Switching"

Tried sleeping my computer and Illustrator was still there after waking it back up again.  Sample size of 1 attempt, but so far so good.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Darrenl, thanks for the feedback. I've folloewed yours and Adobe's recommendation and so far so good. It's only been about 24 hours, but AI has been running the entire time and no crashes yet. I'll post any updates if things change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news, Ed.  It's been (mostly) holding up for me as well (two days of heavy use later).  There has been one exception, which was a crash that ocurred one time when connecting to an external monitor.  Most of the time, however, sleeping and connecting to an external monitor no longer causes a 100% Illustrator crash rate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Darrenl, yeah, I've had the same issue when connecting and disconnecting my external display as well, though that hasn't happened in the past 36 hours or more. I did, however, experience another usual crash which occurs when quitting AI. I let it run (with heavy use) since implementing the proposed fix with no issues. But, sure enough, when testing AI through a quit command the app crashed again. Not a huge issue since I'm quitting anyway, but a crash non the less. Otherwise, much more stable than prior to the last update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines