• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 crashes every time system goes to sleep mode on macOS

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time my new MBP goes to sleep, Illustrator 2020 24.0.1 crashes...every single time. Tried renaming the settings folder as noted in another thread, but this combination 2019 MBP 16 inch and AI 24.0.1 is unusable. I've never had an issue with my 2015 MBP, and Illustrator, seems to be an issue only with the new MBPs with the following graphics:

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Anyone else having this issue? I've also had it kill upon opening EPS files, but only every couple of times. 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue. We tried but unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. I would request that if you could upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39578656-random-crashing-24-0-3) and share the required information in comments. This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue.  

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try turning off the GPU Performance and see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

About EPS files, is it happening with a specific file or with all EPS files?

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashutosh. That is an improvement based on the short sampling overnight and today. I'll keep an eye on the EPS issue as well. That happens occasionally on the double-click of an EPS icon, I'll instantly look at the AI icon on the dock and the dot will be gone signifying the program is still open. That happens instantaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue with system crashes upon sleep. Same 2019 MBP 16 inch, 64 GB memory, 2.4 GHz i9, AMD Radeon 5500M, and Intel UHD Graphics 630. Will try disabling GPU Performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake and Ed,

We're so sorry to hear about this issue. I would request if you can share the crash report by following the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html

While submitting the crash report use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

Also, if you are using any plugin or extensions, please try removing them and share your observations.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently investigating this issue. I have sent you a DM for some more details, please check.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having same issue. I have sent over a dozen crash reports. Sometimes it crashes once a day, and somtimes multiple times a day. Isnt having the GPU performance tuned on an important featuer of Illustrator? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent some time with Adobe support to see if they have a resolution for this issue yet.  Here are the steps they walked me through:

1. Open System Preferences --> Engergy Saver
  2. Uncheck "Automatic Graphics Switching"
  3. Re-check "Automatic Graphics Switching"

Tried sleeping my computer and Illustrator was still there after waking it back up again.  Sample size of 1 attempt, but so far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Darrenl, thanks for the feedback. I've folloewed yours and Adobe's recommendation and so far so good. It's only been about 24 hours, but AI has been running the entire time and no crashes yet. I'll post any updates if things change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news, Ed.  It's been (mostly) holding up for me as well (two days of heavy use later).  There has been one exception, which was a crash that ocurred one time when connecting to an external monitor.  Most of the time, however, sleeping and connecting to an external monitor no longer causes a 100% Illustrator crash rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Darrenl, yeah, I've had the same issue when connecting and disconnecting my external display as well, though that hasn't happened in the past 36 hours or more. I did, however, experience another usual crash which occurs when quitting AI. I let it run (with heavy use) since implementing the proposed fix with no issues. But, sure enough, when testing AI through a quit command the app crashed again. Not a huge issue since I'm quitting anyway, but a crash non the less. Otherwise, much more stable than prior to the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, Crash while on sleep - MBP 16'' 10.15.4

Crash Report

{Edited by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 16"
Turn off (Automatic graphics switching) System Preferences > Energy Saver

Solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suffer from the same problem
I applied the steps darrenl75524422 the problem disappeared for a while but it appeared again
The MacBook Pro 16 inch 2020
8 GB graphics card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 16"
Turn off (Automatic graphics switching) System Preferences > Energy Saver

Solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am continually plagued with Illustrator crashing. I haven't been able to nail down a specific circumstance as it seems to be relatively random. However it does seem to happen more when either my MacBook goes to sleep, or is wakened from sleep.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please try turning off GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance and see if it helps.

Also, try disabling "Automatic graphics switching" from System Preferences (Click Apple menu > System Preferences and click Energy Saver).
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I already had "Automatic Graphics Switching" disabled. However I have turned off GPU Performance.

I will report my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashed again. See report below...

https://pastebin.com/VfnMrcV1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the details. Crash report you shared is for Photoshop. Are your facing problems with Illustrator or Photoshop or both?

Also, looks like you are using Extensis plugin. Please try removing it and check if that helps.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that crash report was for Photoshop.

I've been experiencing issues with it as well, however I feel it might have something to do with my external scratch disk going offline during sleep.

However Illustrator is still a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the crash report from Illustrator.

https://pastebin.com/XZERBjJu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rene Mayorgas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details, Jon. Please try following these steps and share your observations:

1. In case you are using any thrid party Plugin, please try removing that temporarily.
  1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the Illustrator.  
  1. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html  

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines