Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 crashes / freezes when opening (new) document on Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been online searching for an answer to fix my problem: I can use allll the adobe programms except for illustrator. And I need it....

The issue is when I open illustrator things seem fine, but when I want to start a new file or open a saved file, it freezes and won't respond. The window to send a crash report won't show up!

My firewall is off, I disabled the GPU Performance @ preferences and also tried to see whether the printer is connected = no success. 

I tried to download older versions of illustrator, 2019 has the same issue for me.

I'm using Windows 10 (64bit)

I have no clue what I should do, but I need to work. Please help me out!

Correct answer by zeee1980 | Community Beginner

It fixed for me with switch off the GPU Performance.

Edit -> Preferences -> Performance -> Uncheck GPU Performance

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 crashes / freezes when opening (new) document on Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been online searching for an answer to fix my problem: I can use allll the adobe programms except for illustrator. And I need it....

The issue is when I open illustrator things seem fine, but when I want to start a new file or open a saved file, it freezes and won't respond. The window to send a crash report won't show up!

My firewall is off, I disabled the GPU Performance @ preferences and also tried to see whether the printer is connected = no success. 

I tried to download older versions of illustrator, 2019 has the same issue for me.

I'm using Windows 10 (64bit)

I have no clue what I should do, but I need to work. Please help me out!

Correct answer by zeee1980 | Community Beginner

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julia,

Thanks for reaching out. I see you have tried numerous steps yourself and still you see issues with Illustrator CC2019(v23.x) and CC2020(v24.x). I'd recommend resetting the Illustrator preferences once. Follow instructions below to do that manually:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.
Also make sure your Windows and Graphic Card driver is up-to-date. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh, 

thank you for your reply!
I tried resetting the preferences with your instructions, but unfortunately it didn't work. I'm sure everything is up to date.. what can I do?

Regards,

Julia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a printer set up, connected and turned on?

If you don't have a printer, try the PDF printer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

In the first post I also said that I tried to see wheter a printer is connected; I have multiple installed and conncected. But I'm happy to try changing the print settings! Adobe pdf isn't available in the printer settings of my laptop so I assume I have to change this in Illustrator? But how do you change the printer settings in illustrator without opening a document? I cannot find this in preferences nor settings.

Thanks,

Julia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having multiple printer installed and none of them is available, that is like asking for trouble with Illustrator.

The PDF printer needs to be set up in the system. Please consult the Windows documentation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this with us. This will help other users having a similar issue. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0