• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 crashes while using Delete Anchor Point tool

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime in a recent version of Illustrator, it somehow became deadly to use the Shift+Click version of the Delete Anchor point tool.  This is the only other post I've seen on the issue, I think it's roughly the same problem, however, mine isn't solved:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/shift-delete-anchor-point-tool-not-working-in-illustrator...

For me, when you use the shift+click (to maintain the curve when deleting anchor points), the vectors break down entirely, the handles of adjacent points go flying off the canvas, and about 70% - 80% of the time, Adobe Illustrator crashes as it attempts to calculate impossible, infinite geometry, often with a "Not enough RAM" error message (my RAM is not the problem). Here's a quick image to show what I mean.

example-error.jpg

This sometimes results in a crash and recovery cycle, where the recovery file is made during the program's attempt to render this impossible geometry, and the recovery file opens, and immediately crashes again, over and over again, until I tell it to stop trying to recover the file.

I had come to use the shift+click in my design workflow very, very often.  Which means I very, very often accidentally explode illustrator. I loved this feature and really want it back.

I'm using version 24.3, the most up to date version as of this post. This problem happens on both of my computers, both PC.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Issue mentioned on the community link you shared was generic and was fixed in  24.1.2. 

We understand how frustrating these performance issues can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this page for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything and none of this helped. The problem with this tool persists, on multiple devices, even after an update.

To put a finer point on my problem, using this tool doesn't always result in a crash. Ocassionally, the vectors just break in very unpredictable and overly-complicated ways, even with simple shapes, exactly as I've described above.  Sometimes it's a total crash of the program, sometimes a simple UNDO will fix it, but one thing is consistant: I can no longer use shift+click on the delete anchor point tool, and I haven't been able to for months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any progress on this problem?  Is it a known issue?  I recently updated Illustrator and the bug persists on mutliple different devices (all windows).    I asked a designer friend of mine today about the problem, showed them what was happening - they had never used the shift+click version of the tool, before, but in my demonstration, I received three different results, exactly as above: Once it worked alright, once it create strange, nearly infinite vector lines off the pasteboard, and another time is crashed Illustrator entired.  Sometimes it mentions not having enough RAM to preform the task (I have 32G of RAM and no other programs open, so probably not that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with version 25. Does anyone know if there is a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. Unfortunately, no, I have not found the solution to this
problem. If you do, I would find it most helpful. I've done everything
thats been suggested in the forums, and have resorted to simply not using
this version of the tool anymore. It's such a shame, and still frustrating
whenever I forget and try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have a similar problem on version 24.3(my department is currently locked to 2020), has this been fixed on version 25 yet? If it has I'd like to push to get them to update as this has cost me countless hours of work as well. More frustrating still is that a better version of this tool has existed in vector scribe for some time now in plugin form. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the astute plugins due to them switching over to the subscription pricing model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Version 25.2.1 and just today I had 2 Illustrator crashes today trying to see if it has been fixed.  So, unfortunately, no, it is still an unresolved problem.

I feel like my computer alone must have flooded Adobe with identical error reports for each crash I've experienced with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. I miss the days before the subscription only model when they would at least attempt to fix the bugs as an incentive to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about this long pending issue. Please share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html

While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community.

This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.In case you are using any plugin, please share the list of plugins.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines