Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 crashes while using Delete Anchor Point tool

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime in a recent version of Illustrator, it somehow became deadly to use the Shift+Click version of the Delete Anchor point tool.  This is the only other post I've seen on the issue, I think it's roughly the same problem, however, mine isn't solved:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/shift-delete-anchor-point-tool-not-working-in-illustrator...

For me, when you use the shift+click (to maintain the curve when deleting anchor points), the vectors break down entirely, the handles of adjacent points go flying off the canvas, and about 70% - 80% of the time, Adobe Illustrator crashes as it attempts to calculate impossible, infinite geometry, often with a "Not enough RAM" error message (my RAM is not the problem). Here's a quick image to show what I mean.

example-error.jpg

This sometimes results in a crash and recovery cycle, where the recovery file is made during the program's attempt to render this impossible geometry, and the recovery file opens, and immediately crashes again, over and over again, until I tell it to stop trying to recover the file.

I had come to use the shift+click in my design workflow very, very often.  Which means I very, very often accidentally explode illustrator. I loved this feature and really want it back.

I'm using version 24.3, the most up to date version as of this post. This problem happens on both of my computers, both PC.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 crashes while using Delete Anchor Point tool

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime in a recent version of Illustrator, it somehow became deadly to use the Shift+Click version of the Delete Anchor point tool.  This is the only other post I've seen on the issue, I think it's roughly the same problem, however, mine isn't solved:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/shift-delete-anchor-point-tool-not-working-in-illustrator...

For me, when you use the shift+click (to maintain the curve when deleting anchor points), the vectors break down entirely, the handles of adjacent points go flying off the canvas, and about 70% - 80% of the time, Adobe Illustrator crashes as it attempts to calculate impossible, infinite geometry, often with a "Not enough RAM" error message (my RAM is not the problem). Here's a quick image to show what I mean.

example-error.jpg

This sometimes results in a crash and recovery cycle, where the recovery file is made during the program's attempt to render this impossible geometry, and the recovery file opens, and immediately crashes again, over and over again, until I tell it to stop trying to recover the file.

I had come to use the shift+click in my design workflow very, very often.  Which means I very, very often accidentally explode illustrator. I loved this feature and really want it back.

I'm using version 24.3, the most up to date version as of this post. This problem happens on both of my computers, both PC.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Issue mentioned on the community link you shared was generic and was fixed in  24.1.2. 

We understand how frustrating these performance issues can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this page for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0