• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 Expand Feature Not Working?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on some icons, and there are certain shapes I need to expand the appearance of so that when shrunken down, the shapes won't change. However, with this new update, I don't have the option to even click Expand Appearance (it's grayed out), and when I click Expand, nothing happens. I believe I was using a 2019 version beforehand, though I've read that 2019 versions have problems as well. 

Has anyone figured out a solution, or know which one of the older versions still has the feature functioning?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Object > Path > Outline Stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Has anyone figured out a solution, or know which one of the older versions still has the feature functioning?"

The feature at-large is working, so there isn't anything to figure out.

How is the icon (that you're attempting to expand) constructed? If it is just filled paths, Object > Expand will produce no visible result. Can you post a screen shot with the object(s) selected and the Layers panel in view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rishabh_Tiwari and @John Mensinger , actually, I currently have the same issue than John, what I am trying to expland is a 3D extruded circle, see my screenshots attached, what steps I might be overloonking? Same thing: "click Expand Appearance (it's grayed out), and when I click Expand, nothing happens."

Even selecting Path > Outline Stroke doesn´t seem to work.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! just found it, was looking in the wrong section, it should be:

Object > Expand Experience, referencing screenshot.

Thank you all! @Rishabh_Tiwari @John Mensinger 

4.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Please ensure that the object you wish to expand should be selected and the layers should not be locked.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening just on one document or with all documents created? If just the one document then make sure that nothing about each icon is either locked or hidden. If it is happening universally then you may need to trash preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we trash preferences safely for Illustrator? My expand appearance in 2022 is now not working. Was fine for last 10 years until now. I tried installing the oldest version Creative Cloud would let me, and it isn't working in that one either. I use this function literally every day and can't figure out another way to get stroke to turn into shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the object you want to expand (selected) together with the Appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out what it was. My art had to have Compound Path released. FACEPALM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of object are you trying to expand? If you just want shapes from a stroke, Expand Appearance won't do anything, but Object > Expand... will.

Or Object > Path > Outline Stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.25.23 PM.png

 Yes thank you. I realize Expand Appearance won't do that task. Expand is not working. And also Object Path Outline Stroke isn't working. There is no mask either on the object. I've deleted the Illustrator prefs as well, reinstalled, and still can't get this white filled shape with white outline, to turn into a shape. Perplexed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Object > Path > Outline Stroke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My art had to have Compound Path released. FACEPALM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me now! I tried uninstalling and installing a new version and still doesnt work! Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I can see expand option greyed out. Does anybody know what's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines