• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 freezing while clicking Expand in Object menu

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to vectorize a jpg image in Illustrator 2020.

I usually do the following steps to create a vector from a raster.

Image Trace > go to Object > Expand

This always worked until today.

When I click Expand, Illustrator just freezes up and nothing happens. I have to force quit the program.

I tried rasterize the image first, trace the image, then expand. Same thing. Nothing happnes.

I tried it in 2019 version, and it worked fine like it alwayds did.

I couldn't find anyone else having the same issue as mine online. However, considering 2019 version worked, it must be the 2020 version's problem and not my computer capacity issue.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me solve this problem. Thanks!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Could you please share a few more details like:

• Exact version of Illustrator and operating system.
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Could you please share a few more details like:

• Exact version of Illustrator and operating system.
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

You may also try resetting Illustrator preferences. Unexpected behavior in application can be caused due to corrupt/ damaged preferences. Please follow these steps and let us know how it goes:

For MAC

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to locations
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

For Windows

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if this information helps or you have any further questions. We'd be happy to assist.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for your response and advice to solve this issue. The version with the issue is 24.1.3. for Windows.
I couldn't find AppData file to remove the current preferences, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the 2020 app. It worked.
I always have problem when the Illustrator app does auto update. I have to manually remove one add-on file before update the app. I don't know if image expand feature was messed up because of this file although it never did in the past.

Mat
Graphic Designer
J. L. Endicott

{Personal details removed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines