• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 Imported .PNGs Look Weird

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import .png's, it gives me this weird distortion. I tried with a .jpg and it worked, but pngs's isn't. It happens when I drag the photo in as well as file > place. Doesn't change anything when I embed the link. I have the most recent version of Illustrator 2020. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 3.29.29 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Change them to 8 bits/channel (Image > Mode) in Photoshop and you can vote for support for iPhone png's here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/37137061-pn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hallie,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd recommend clicking on View > Preview on CPU and see if it makes a difference.
Also let us know the version of OS please. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue and so are my coworkers. View/Preview on CPU did not work.

Any updates or fixes are greatly appreciated.

Mac OS 10.14.6. Adobe Illustrator 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do these PNG's come from?

Does it happen with all PNG's?

If you open them in Photoshop (or another image editor) and resave them, is it still the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these RGB or are you trying to make CMYK PNG files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Was there ever a fix for this? The colors are way off. Not quite inverted, but all different. Can't find a fix. Illustrator 2020 with MacOS 10.15.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OSX 10.15.4, fine

Illustrator 2020 info is incomplete. Please select Illustrator menu>About Illustrator, and specify the numerical version number that appears top left in the panel shown. Thank you.

Try to place the PNGs in RGB documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get those png files? iPhone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me as well. I took a screenshot with my iphone and then airdropped to my mac to bring into illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check in Photoshop wether it's (it should) an 8 bit image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. Had to "screenshot the screenshot" to make it work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Did you found a solution for this? I'm having the same issue. (Ilustrator 2020)

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 21.15.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change them to 8 bits/channel (Image > Mode) in Photoshop and you can vote for support for iPhone png's here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/37137061-pn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is still there. Apparently Illustrator can't handle 16bit color PNGs, which is what iPhone screenshots are and what I was trying to upload. 🤦🏼‍:female_sign: (And apparently you can't post a female facepalming emoji either, only male...) But if you import the image to Photoshop and change it to 8bit then save and reupload to Illustrator like Ton_Frederiks said, it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should have 8 Bits/Channel before place an image.

Still, Illustrator doesn't fix this matter.

A better way, changing a bit before place the image to 8 Bits/Channel

Got to Image > Mode > 8 Bits/Channel

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 6.45.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines