• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 is only saving temp files on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working with Adobe Illustrator 2020 and have been working on a few projects where when I save over my .ai file, to save any changes, the file instead saves a .temp file. This is pretty unusual and frustrating since the save process finishes and I think my edits are good but then exit out and realize they have not saved over. It had previously worked but for some reason stopped. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Illustrator forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHich system is this?

WHichversion number? If not 24.0.1, then please update.

Did you migrate preferences from the old version? If so, try and rebuild them.

You just hit save on an old file? That's very bad idea, because then Illustrator saves to the old version. "Save as" any old file you edit. After you have saved it to a current version, you can go on and just save it.

Where do you save files? If on a server, try the local disk. Don't save to a synchronized folder.

I suppose your computer has been restarted at least this morning? If it's been running for  days, do a restart as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these! My problem is solved. temp$$ is gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac OS Catalina perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems saving over an Illustrator file in Illustrator 2020 (24.0,1) in Catalina (macOS 10.15.2) so I think that's a red herring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve - check your Apple Pref/Security and Privacy - do you have Illustrator in the list to allow access to your HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the rules that Catalina is now enforcing. I just checked both in Illustrator 2020 and InDesign 2020 and neither of them need to be registered with Security & Privacy preferences to write over an existing file in a non-System-related folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - It is a requirement for Photoshop otherwise it ends up having issues saving files out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exact the same problem. I am using the latest version of Illustrator on a Windows 10 PC. What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us version numbers.

Where do you save your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, on Windows 10 Captura.PNG

Version of Illustrator is the last one, i cant save a file on the desktop, it turns into a temp fileCaptura13.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off "Save in Background" in Preferences > File handling & Clipboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and still is saving rhe files in .temp 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual. We see no issues like this while saving files on Illustrator 2020. I'd recommend resetting preferences of the app. Please follow instructions below to do that:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

You may also try logging in to Hidden Admin account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.htm

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing, i dont know what to do 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have still the same problem: Saving on an company server system does not work -> AI creates only .temp files. Saving on my local disk is working.

First it was one version before 24.2.1. I´ve updated to the new Version and the problem still exist.

The problem appeared last week suddenly without any doing or changing in AI or any preferences.

AI Version: 24.2.1

Win10 Pro, 64bit, Built 18362

In my opinion this is a fatal error with a high Priority to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find an explanation of the issue here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

You might try if you can solve it with a different server configuration.

You can also try if turning off "Save in background" and "Optimize saving on network" in Preferences > File handling & clipboard in Illustrator helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A first try was ok. I will observe this with the settings. But in my opinion it is a fatal error or bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not generally happening.

It depends on configuration, systems and whatnot.

If you want it solved, you will need to post details on http://illustrator.uservoice.om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey hi,

I have got the same issue.. Its antivirus issue..

If you have an Avast antivrus...there will be pop up window ( Click on allow app) then there is no further  issue.

After that, save it again now it will be save as a .ai file.

Hope it will work for you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it's antivirus! I got the same problem when the file saves as a temp file. I have AVG antivirus- go settings, general settings, blocked/allowed apps - list of allowed apps and click illustrator. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKSSSSS. i have been having the same issue. so glad i stumble upon your comment. really helpful, would recommend for others to try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried everything in this thread with no luck, then I found something in another forum that solved it for me, I'm using Avast antivirus and it seems that it was preventing Illustrator from saving, In Avast go to Menu>Options>Blocked Apps and if Illustrator is blocked remove it, and if it isn't add it to the permited apps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVG antivirus (and, by extension, Avast, since Avast bought AVG) has/have been causing huge and often fatal problems on windows 10 machines. I am a tech and have found often the only way to recover from these frequently BSOD failures is to uninstall the AVG. It appears that AVG was causing this problem as well. Don't get me wrong -- I've always been a huge fan of AVG, but it looks like their program is now more trouble than it's worth. I've read comments that Windows Defender alone is equally effective. Thanks to the other posters who pointed me in this direction -- I was losing my mind. Not an Illustrator problem at all -- it was AVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines