• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 issues duplicating artboard

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator seems to be having difficulty duplicating artboards with "Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard" selected while using Alt+dragging the target artboard. This issue only arose after upgrading to Illustrator 2020. I made sure scratch disks were set up properly, so I doubt this is a hardware issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

After dragging, release the mouse first before Alt button

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Just here to say, I had the same problem. And the solutions provided here didn't really help. Eventually I figured out, in my case, it was because I had a clipping mask in the artboard I tried to duplicate. Once I released the clipping mask, it worked with no problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any locked object in the artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohammad, no there aren't any locked objects on the artboard. The programs seems to be trying to duplicate the artboard along with the art objects, but it ends up hanging instead. Granted, this project has some more dense images included (and I'm sure that's the issue), but previous versions of AI haven't had a problem with similarly composed projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have never had an issue duplicating artboards until today.  No layers, nothing locked, following the same procedure as always, and the artboard is blank. Nothing copies over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please detail wich version and OS are you using?

Click again twice the Move/CopyArtwork with Artboard, just to be sure. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Federico,

I just tried again after a fresh bootup, deselected then selected Move/Copy Artwork per your instructions, and AI failed to move and duplicate as before.

I am using version 24.0 on 64-bit Windows 10

My system info here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Federico!

I should have updated. I found the solution in another thread. There is a tiny button in the contexual toolbar that turns on/off the "include content with artboard when duplicating".

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.48.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to this thread because I have the same or similar issue. I HAVE selected the artboard icon as shown above in PJ_88's post, but my artboards do not copy at all when I select Option/drag. It just moves the old artboard. I restarted, I have the most updated version. What am I missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I understand the frustration. That was the trick that worked for me. I assume you have all layers and objects unlocked?  If nothing is locked, and the "copy artboard" icon is selected, I am out of ideas. 😞

I hope someone else has a trick that solves it! 

copy artboard contents.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thank you! I was having this same issue! There are SO many updates to this version, why hasn't illustrator pointed them out!? Things that used to take seconds are taking 30 minutes because I have to find solves to them that are nowhere to find.

so happy to have this forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here (macOS Mojave, illustrator 2020). did you solve it somehow? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to latest version of Ai available. Thanks.

24.1.1 or later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the 2019  version it was working well. It doesn't work now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how was this issue fixed?

I'm having this issue — trying to duplicate artboard but Option dragging only starts a new Artboard area, not duplicating the selected Artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue here.  It's worked as expected for years and now it doesn't.  Using the newest version.  Infact I was having the issue last week and just updated today but it still doesn't work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as what?

Please describe, not a lot of people will want to read the complete thread.

Exactly what are you doing?

In exactly which version?

With exactly which kind of artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest version .  25.2.  I am trying to like I have done for years to simple Click while holding down Option and dragging to Duplicate an artboard with the contents included.  I have the "Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard" option slected as well.  In the past this was one of those things we ALL just did without thinking about it.  It is not working like it has in the past.  

For the kind of artwork I have a mixture of vector and raster graphics.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After dragging, release the mouse first before Alt button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh....that worked!!!  Thanks Cohen.  Please tell me this is a new thing and that I'm not loosing my mind???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Waste an hour trying to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cohen Angu - genius!! That is the only thing that worked - finally!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cohen, yes! This worked!! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES - omg how frustrating this has been for me too, and it was such a simple fix. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines