Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 issues duplicating artboard

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator seems to be having difficulty duplicating artboards with "Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard" selected while using Alt+dragging the target artboard. This issue only arose after upgrading to Illustrator 2020. I made sure scratch disks were set up properly, so I doubt this is a hardware issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 issues duplicating artboard

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator seems to be having difficulty duplicating artboards with "Move/Copy Artwork with Artboard" selected while using Alt+dragging the target artboard. This issue only arose after upgrading to Illustrator 2020. I made sure scratch disks were set up properly, so I doubt this is a hardware issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any locked object in the artboard?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohammad, no there aren't any locked objects on the artboard. The programs seems to be trying to duplicate the artboard along with the art objects, but it ends up hanging instead. Granted, this project has some more dense images included (and I'm sure that's the issue), but previous versions of AI haven't had a problem with similarly composed projects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have never had an issue duplicating artboards until today.  No layers, nothing locked, following the same procedure as always, and the artboard is blank. Nothing copies over. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 1
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please detail wich version and OS are you using?

Click again twice the Move/CopyArtwork with Artboard, just to be sure. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Federico,

I just tried again after a fresh bootup, deselected then selected Move/Copy Artwork per your instructions, and AI failed to move and duplicate as before.

I am using version 24.0 on 64-bit Windows 10

My system info here

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Federico!

I should have updated. I found the solution in another thread. There is a tiny button in the contexual toolbar that turns on/off the "include content with artboard when duplicating".

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.48.54 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to this thread because I have the same or similar issue. I HAVE selected the artboard icon as shown above in PJ_88's post, but my artboards do not copy at all when I select Option/drag. It just moves the old artboard. I restarted, I have the most updated version. What am I missing? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I understand the frustration. That was the trick that worked for me. I assume you have all layers and objects unlocked?  If nothing is locked, and the "copy artboard" icon is selected, I am out of ideas. 😞

I hope someone else has a trick that solves it! 

copy artboard contents.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here (macOS Mojave, illustrator 2020). did you solve it somehow? Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to latest version of Ai available. Thanks.

24.1.1 or later

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of AI.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the 2019  version it was working well. It doesn't work now

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how was this issue fixed?

I'm having this issue — trying to duplicate artboard but Option dragging only starts a new Artboard area, not duplicating the selected Artboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Resources