Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 lagging/ freezing/ crashing on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Illustrator 2020 is lagging, freezing, crashing on my new iMac Pro. Some days it's so slow, it's unusable. What can I do to fix this problem?

Here are my mac/software details:

iMac Pro (2017)

macOs Catalina Version 10.15.4

Processor 3.2 GHz 8-core intel xeon w

Memory 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics Rageon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Thanks,

Jayne

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 lagging/ freezing/ crashing on macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Illustrator 2020 is lagging, freezing, crashing on my new iMac Pro. Some days it's so slow, it's unusable. What can I do to fix this problem?

Here are my mac/software details:

iMac Pro (2017)

macOs Catalina Version 10.15.4

Processor 3.2 GHz 8-core intel xeon w

Memory 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics Rageon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Thanks,

Jayne

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jayne,

So sorry to hear about this issue. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.1.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.  

Also, few users have confirmed that changing the color preferences to Apple RGB in the display settings helps in resolving the performance issues on macOS Catalina.  You may also try the steps shared here (https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlf3ddc60d/mac) and check if that helps resolving your issue?

If that doesn't help, please share the SPX file and Illustrator Preferences folders by following these steps:

• SPX file from MAC 
    Click on Apple Icon > About this Mac > System Report
    This will launch the System Profiler
    Then Click File > Save > Save in Creative Cloud Files
    Then open www.assets.adobe.com
    Click on three dots next to spx file > Share > Copy Link and paste it in a private message.

• Preferences Folder: -
    Try resetting preferences. If it helps to resolve the problem, share the old folders via Creative Cloud.

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to locations

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

~/Library/Preferences

Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old

Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings. Save these .old folders in Creative Cloud Files and share the download link.

All this information will help us replicating this issue and help you accordingly. Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thank you for your email.

I changed my colour preference to RGB Apple but didn't make a difference.

I followed the instructions to share the SPX file and Illustrator
preferences folder however when I go to www.assets.adobe.com I get an error
This site can’t be reached
*www.assets.adobe.com *’s server IP address
could not be found.

In regards to resetting preferences, I don't understand what Illustrator
file I am searching for. Can you please clarify?

Thank you,
Jayne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that, Jayne! Please try opening this link (https://assets.adobe.com/files).

For Reseting preferences you just need to rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders. Just add .old to their names.

After that once you will launch Illustrator, it will recreate these folders again. 

If it helps to resolve the problem, share the old folders (the one you renamed) via Creative Cloud.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines