Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 quits after saving file on macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - 

I installed Illustrator 2020 24.0 on my Mac (running Catalina 10.15.1). Every time I close a document, Illustrator will save, close and then quit the application. Why is it doing this? I'm working on multiple docs, I don't want Illustrator to quit each time I close.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator while saving the files. I would request if you can share a few more details like: 

1. Is the issue related to a specific document? 
  2. Where are you trying to save the file (Network Drive/ System Hard Drive/ Shared Folder on System /External Hard Drive)?
  3. When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh -

1. No, the issue keeps repeating across a range of documents that I've been working on for a few weeks.

2. I'm saving directly to my HD (I'm not on a network)

3. This started happening this morning after I upgraded Illustrator to 2020. Nothing else has been installed recently, and I didn't have this issue (with the same documents) before upgrading.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy could you please try resetting the preferences for Illustrator and see if that works, please follow the steps below:

• Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Let us know if this works or if you need any further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there -

Thank you for the advice. I followed the steps above, but unfortunately the problem persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing, I've noticed...

If I hit save and then close, Illustrator stays open (as it should).

It's only when I close the document without saving, Illustrator will prompt me to save, it will then save and immediately quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, Are you closing the document using red light button on app frame? If Yes, please see my reply below for workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am (it's a habit of mine) - I'll try the workaround, going forward. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this did not work for me.
It only seems to have reset all of my settings in Illustrator, now opening as if it were freshly installed.

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#metoo

Quits after saving, never happened since latest 2020 update.

Really annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, AS SOON as installed version 2020 Ilustrator quits when Saving and Close while saving. If I save and wait until save is completely done than it does not quit.

Really ? you cant not know this problem ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue... its insanity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher,

Sorry about this. Does it help if you turn off 'Background Save' from the preferences as suggested above?

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the details. Does it give any error/ crash report after quiting? If yes, please share the crash report by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html (Please submit the crash report with the email address with which you are logged in on this community, this will help us find the crash log and help you further).

Also, please check and confirm if you notice the similar behavior in Safe mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html)? 

All this information will help us investigating this issue and help you accordingly.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm on a Mac in 10.15.1 using AI2020. When I click the red light button (which is typically used to close a file) it will quit Illustrator after getting prompted to save. If I save first before closing the file the application doesn't quit. I have saved to the local and external HDs and the problem is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thanks for providing the detailed steps. We are able to reproduce this issue at our end and will look into this. As a workaround you can try closing the document using shortcut or close using cross button on document Tab.

Thanks

Anish Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's january 2020 now and why is this issue still not fixed?

Quiting after saving is reaaaaaally annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering the same thing. I waited 3 months to upgrade to avoid bugs! It's killing my production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on 10.14.6 with 24.0. You have to wait until the document is saved before you can close it without the program quitting. The document Tab shows the status of saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also experienced the same issue but it is infrequent.

OS 10.14.6

Illustrator 2020

Althought I experience it when using keyboad shrtcuts to save and close, but not all the time.

It appears to happen for frequently when I cmd-s and then cmd-w while the file is saving.

If there are more than one files open, it doesn't happen.

Illustrator give now warning  - it closes down as soon as the file has closed.

There are no crash reports.

It's not a deal breaker but it is annoying to have to keep reopening the program.

Cheer

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here! latest illustrator, latest osx catalina... 😞  can i please have my beloved brand called apple back??? new bugs every day!! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for reaching out and highlighting this. Currently we are investigating this issue. Till the time is fixed, go to Preferences (CMD+K) > File Handling & Clipboard and uncheck "Save in Background" and let us know how it goes.

I would also suggest if you can upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39278980-automatic-quit...) and share your feedback in the comments. This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Mojave.

It quits after closing an .ai doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This is a known issue and it has already been notified to the product team. For more information please refer to the UserVoice Page shared above.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - same problem here - wastes a lot of time over the course of a day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines