Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 Save As PDF changing text in file

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a packaging file with several text layers for different product titles within the product line. There are layers that are part of all six labels, and one layer for each of the six that changes for the specific product. When I try saving to a PDF, or save a copy as a PDF, the variable text layers are being changed drastically from the original files. In the first .ai file I created (which was a copy of a different version of these labels), the product title disappeared for every variety, and the descriptive text turned from black to bright green. I wondered if this was because it was a file I was adapting - so I built a new .ai file from the ground up using only the new label elements. Now when I save to/save as a PDF, the product title AND the descriptive text are gone, and there are random capital "o"s floating in these spaces. The "o"s are in different locations on each label. 

 

The back label was created at the same time, in the same way, and has absolutely no issues being saved to a PDF. Everything looks as designed. 

 

First file posted is of an exported jpg, second two are the original .ai file PDF, then the new .ai file PDF.Any ideas? 

Views

41

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 Save As PDF changing text in file

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a packaging file with several text layers for different product titles within the product line. There are layers that are part of all six labels, and one layer for each of the six that changes for the specific product. When I try saving to a PDF, or save a copy as a PDF, the variable text layers are being changed drastically from the original files. In the first .ai file I created (which was a copy of a different version of these labels), the product title disappeared for every variety, and the descriptive text turned from black to bright green. I wondered if this was because it was a file I was adapting - so I built a new .ai file from the ground up using only the new label elements. Now when I save to/save as a PDF, the product title AND the descriptive text are gone, and there are random capital "o"s floating in these spaces. The "o"s are in different locations on each label. 

 

The back label was created at the same time, in the same way, and has absolutely no issues being saved to a PDF. Everything looks as designed. 

 

First file posted is of an exported jpg, second two are the original .ai file PDF, then the new .ai file PDF.Any ideas? 

Views

42

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh - I'm on a Mac, running Catalina 10.15.7

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Nov 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Illustrator forum so that proper help can be offered.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Nov 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and disable the "Save in background" option from the preferences?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Nov 06, 2020 0
StuartDL LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to make it work - that still makes no sense to me....but it got the project done and out: In all my trials of clearing out preferences, rebuilding, reinstalling, I noticed that ONE layer produced a PDF correctly. As a last, desparate measure, I repositioned another layer to be in that position in the list of layers - fifth from the bottom -  and tried to save as a PDF...and THAT one worked as well. So as long as I dragged each layer into that position/place in the layer menu - fifth item from the bottom, it would save as a PDF with the text intact. Any other order in the layer list, and the product name disappeared, and I got random, floating "O"s....so I can't say this is solved - but I can say the workaround got me where I needed to go!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Nov 14, 2020 0
Resources