Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 - Slow, not smooth, laggy, delayed transforms on iMac 5k 2019 i9 Pro Vega 48 :(((

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm really disappointed, I've bought two days ago an iMac 5k 2019 i9 with Pro Vega 48 GPU and this was my update from Mac Pro Tower from 2010 (6 cores, RX 580). I'm a graphic designer and I'm living from it and my family. I was searching for the right machine to buy and read a lot of articles, reviews, specs compare on you tube videos and all that stuff (Mac performance guide and guys which provide tests on you tube). I was thinking about iMac Pro but this iMac for the price was a better choice for work what I'm creating. And I have simple question Apple or Adobe because I don't know where is the problem. Why this iMac is so freaking slow... slower than my 2nd machine for gaming on Ryzen 2600 with GTX 1070... Working on a Photoshop or Illustrator is a nightmare... so slow, not smooth and have a some kind of delay. The applications are not responsive like on windows machine and like it Was years before. My Mac Pro was quicker... I;m really disappointed this is my 5th machine from apple & I'm really frustrated and thinking to give it back to the store...

Here is the video comparing the performance of Illustrator vs Ryzen 2600 Machine on Windows 10 Pro. (Sorry for my English but I'm really angry, this supposed to be my dream machine for work for another couple of years like Mac Pro and I've made for myself a present on Christmas)

https://youtu.be/mtCttOjDMeM

Adobe or Apple pls help me to figure out this ? Because its really hard to work today I spent 3 hours on adobe support chat, guy change permissions to the folders and even we make a nother account and the problem with performance is still the same... 

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 - Slow, not smooth, laggy, delayed transforms on iMac 5k 2019 i9 Pro Vega 48 :(((

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm really disappointed, I've bought two days ago an iMac 5k 2019 i9 with Pro Vega 48 GPU and this was my update from Mac Pro Tower from 2010 (6 cores, RX 580). I'm a graphic designer and I'm living from it and my family. I was searching for the right machine to buy and read a lot of articles, reviews, specs compare on you tube videos and all that stuff (Mac performance guide and guys which provide tests on you tube). I was thinking about iMac Pro but this iMac for the price was a better choice for work what I'm creating. And I have simple question Apple or Adobe because I don't know where is the problem. Why this iMac is so freaking slow... slower than my 2nd machine for gaming on Ryzen 2600 with GTX 1070... Working on a Photoshop or Illustrator is a nightmare... so slow, not smooth and have a some kind of delay. The applications are not responsive like on windows machine and like it Was years before. My Mac Pro was quicker... I;m really disappointed this is my 5th machine from apple & I'm really frustrated and thinking to give it back to the store...

Here is the video comparing the performance of Illustrator vs Ryzen 2600 Machine on Windows 10 Pro. (Sorry for my English but I'm really angry, this supposed to be my dream machine for work for another couple of years like Mac Pro and I've made for myself a present on Christmas)

Adobe or Apple pls help me to figure out this ? Because its really hard to work today I spent 3 hours on adobe support chat, guy change permissions to the folders and even we make a nother account and the problem with performance is still the same... 

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 22, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I tried affinity desinger and works perfectly smooth, responsive without any delay... also moving by hand tool on the cnavas working like a charm I wish that Illsutratoe will have such a performance. Maybe its time to switch to other apps...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 2
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Illustrator, InDesign, and Bridge all slow and jerky. Here's my post on the issue, with a link to a vid that shows what I get on my end: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-vs-affinity-publisher-on-4k-monitors/m-p/10943008?p...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the dictation service in the system turned off?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seriously ? I read a ton of the threads related before and. Like you see nothing helped, went to support chat and lost 3hours on remote control by the support. Like you know nothing helped. And then I have to make the last decision to post here a topic about this poor performance Adobe software on Macs ! This is my job like a lot of people here and please respect our time, money and stress/health. Pls improve software illustrator and photoshop on Mac machines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 2
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not primarily talking to "Adobe" here. The forum is 95% not Adobe staff. I am not staff. I don't know what you have discussed with Customer Care. And as long as you don't tell in your post, I don't know which articles you have read, which videos you have watched and what you have tried, since I can't read your mind or see what's on your computer or has been.

If you want to make suggestions concerning the applications, please do so over there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com That's where the engineers read. But again: as long as they can't see inside your system, or know what exactly you have already tried or what you have set up, they won't be able to help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe I have made a video comparing to the Affinity products performance and add some extra comparis with PC deksotp machine on Ryzen 2600... Adobe please optimzied Photoshop and Illustrator for mac !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2019 2
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas.

Mac computers are losing their throne day after day.

You discover that with half money you get better performance on Windows.

In my opinion: Adobe software works better with Nvidia Cards...

I see a lot of complaints from Mac users with AMD Cards.

I highly recommend you to perform a macOS clean install, reinstall Illustrator, turn of the GPU performance and try again.

Best Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made clean install of Mojave's and Catalina turning off gpu make illustrator unusable at all. 

I'm thinking about give it back to the store the Imac and switch to windows machines... 

im so sad because I have all ecosystem on Apple iPad Pro old Mac books and iPhone and I love the MacOS but the adobe software doesn't work properly. Ok you can work but it's some kind of grabbing the brick and sketch on the wall ... with 3500$ machine ... you don't paid for it. My 400$ machine on windows is 15x times faster and smoother ... I so disappointed and sad 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess people have different experiences.

My work computer is a Dell Windows 10 PC and having lots of performance issues with nVidia Quadro GPU in Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop. In InDesign, I can't even use High Quality Display because the screen won't refresh as I move objects, pan across the screen. We are talking about simple letters with a 6 meg JPEG from Getty in the header. Insane.

And what is up with Windows 10 and fonts? We are a print house and waste hours with fonts. Why? Because one user will have Futura installed, but another user's Windows PC has "Futura_1" or "Futura_2". If you install the same font twice in Windows, it adds a number at the end and Adobe's apps think it's a different font. Or you may have OpenType Futura but someone else designed a document with Truetype Futura. So opening an InDesign document here at work gives you a missing font dialogue for fonts that are right there in the list of fonts. Open the same document on a Mac, no font issues at all.

I'd stick with the Mac, personally. God, I wish I had the Finder on my Dell! lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is Ai 2020 on powerful PC works slow and chuncky too. I have a lot of issues with latest updates and am seriously considering changing to affinity in few months once my subscription ends. Adobe has been too long monopolising the market and they don't care about quality of their software anymore. Why introduce lots of new funcions (that half you don't even need) but have absolutly no interest in solving performance issues? The answer is users can always spend more money on hardware so why bother? Issue is If I'm spending $4500 on a PC as a frelance designer I want to use it for 5 years which is resonable amount of time between updates not upgrade it each year because software copany cba about performance at all.   I'm sitting here on top notch PC atm and Ai 2020 is struggeling with a 28 page product  catalogue... this IS ridiculous! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your hardware specs.

You might also choose to contact Customer Care directly as they can login to your system to check things out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

You need to be logged in and at the bottom right there is the chat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current spec is Ryzen 7 1800X , 64 GB RAM, with Windows 10 installed on 1TB 960 EVO SSD M2, since I use this pc mostly for working with 3d I have 3 x GTX 1080 Ti installed, my Ai 2020 is running on one of those cards. I have up to date drivers and done all updates on sfotware too. Did reset AI settings to defaults, prior to reinstalling, no change, the performance is just bad once I have to deal with a larger or more cpmplicated file.    

I'm sorry but I will not allow annyone to access my desktop via remote access. This is major security breach. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a total of 4.5 hours with Adobe, three of those hours taking over my computer. They are respectful about the security issue, but it was all the preference files and 3rd party apps they removed while trying to (unsuccessfully) diagnose the issue that was the problem for me. Took days to get things back to normal and I eventually decided to completely redo my system as though I was moviing from PC to Mac, which I hadn't done in over 10 years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GTX 1080 is kind of famous in this forum. It's the leading actor in quite a few threads.

It's also not on the list of supported cards: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is outdated info for Nov 2019... and you want to tell me that Adobe is missing support for a whole generation of Nvidia cards from 10XX family that was released in March 2017... 3 years ago?!? (especially when next generation that is 20XX series is about to expire in atumn)?!? doubt it! but even if we assume it is the case, lack of support for one of the top performance gfx cards of last generation seems odd don't you think? especially if this card is still one of the best performing cards with majoirty of other software... why it is always Adobe that has issue with that while others don't?  Don't you think this is a bit weird explanation? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only tell you what is in the specifications. As has already been said in this thread: this is  user forum. If you want to talk to staff, either contact Customer Care or post on Uservoice.

The Illustrator version from November 2019 (which is version 2020) ist the current version and as for the release date of the page: 7. Juli 2020

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sure this is support forum? ok, so I'm wasting my time. Thanks for the info. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind words.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows user here: Im having the same issue. I was convinced by my manager to upgrade to the lasted Ai version and regretting it so much now. I had no issue working on large file (like 50 artboards with heavy text/object) with cc2019 but now 2 simple arboards with all shapes (no text to images) are enough to slow the whole computer's preformance down by 5 times at least. Im having trouble getting some simple tasks done and it really affect my work performance. I cant convince my manager that the Ai cc2020 is the reason why it took me half a day to do something I did within 20 mins before, and it's worse during quarantine time cause I'm working from home and expected to get more work done than back when I was in office

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue?

Did you watch the video linked above?

How slow is yours actually?

There are some new options in the file handling preferences in version 2020. Please try and turn off the "Saving on network"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After couple of months ago, type here and on uservoice and beta versions program community. Report this issue to dev team. Nothing has changed...only two things:
1. I have added more ram from 16 to 72 to my iMac 2019 i9 3.6 ghz, 1TBSSD, Pro Vega 48 8GB
2. Bought Mac Book Pro maed out 16 inch with i9 2.4ghz, 1TB SSD, 64gb RAM, 5500 M 8GB 

and... the feeling and laggy illustrator is the same on both those machines. Nothing was improved. Still moving on cavas is laggy, still resizing rectanglem circle, triangle shapes are delayed. Where are more complex document, even the cursor on illustrator is delayed (feels like is drunk and its hard to point on anchor point or on the path).

Photoshop has improved and its really nice to work now but Illustrator is a disaster.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno if this is going to help, but I too had massively laggy Illustrator movement with grabberhand, inserting the cursor, etc.

The fix, miracle of miracles, was to switch the Color setting in Displays in the System preferences to Apple RGB. 

And BAM!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god you did it.

I'm working on a calibrated 4K display on Catalina and Illustrator was a nightmare:

I just switched from the calibration profile to Apple RGB and it works! What in the world?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get this info from? Are you working on Apple RGB now?

I need to get back to my calibration profile, do you have any fix by now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using AppleRGB is a hack until Adobe or Apple recognizes and fixes the issue. It's been around since Catalina. AppleRGB is the only profile that works with our setup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas, it's unclear if you've tried the AppleRGB color profile switch. I have 3 associates on systems close to yours and two had the issue of lagging, and switching to AppleRGB fixed their speed issues. 

Not a perfect solution, but it gets you up and running again.

So curious to know if you've tried that and still have lagging.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0