Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 Slow Performance and Crashing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work for an IT provider and have a client using Adobe Illustrator 2020 (24.2.1). In the past few weeks they have been experiencing very slow performance when using the application. They have a laptop and desktop and can replicate the same issue on both with a file currently being worked on. Both machines are Windows 10 and the laptop has 8GB ram, with the desktop having 16gb. Is there any updates or settings I can look into that may be causing this issue?

Thank You,

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this experence. I am hoprful that the issue is resolved by now. If not,  I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on Syste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB is just not a lot. It's at the low end of the recommendations.

What's in the file?

Does that happen with all files? Where do they store files?

Does that happen with specific operations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue happens whether on the laptop or desktop with certain files. They did tell me that when creating new flyers they are using the old file as a template. The files are on a local drive but sometimes contain pictures located on a network drive as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever networks are concerned, Illustrator tends to not behave well.

Does it work better when all files are local?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client has files with the same performance results whether the pictures are stored locally or on the network drive. They inform me that all other Adobe programs are not having issues, it seems to be just related to Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a printer installed, set up as the default printer, turned on and the driver up to date?

All previous printers should be turned off when the machines are no longer there, but there needs to be a current one. Is that the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No printer changes have been made to the machine. A printer is currently setup and defaulted. Only the printers needed are installed on the device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the printer drivers are up to date?

What's in the files?

Where are the files stored?

Did you already try resetting the preferences? If you want to check out if it helps at all, then you can rename the folder as described in here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Perhaps Customer Care needs to have a look into those computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drivers are up to date. Files are locally stored on computer but sometimes use images on a network drive. The issue has happened with files have everything local or some network. Files are just basic flyers with text and images from what I can see. I have not tried resetting the preferences yet but have seen this suggested numourous times. I will try and connect tomorrow and see if it helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad i am not the only one expiriancing problems with illustrator...i cant even save my files as illustrator.ai...All the tools are gone...i have installed illustrator 6 times and its not working properly...all the tools are gone even if i reset essentials my left tool bar will not comeback...errors are still there saying pluins are nor loading properly.....im about to cancel this membership....so frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When installing did you turn off antivirus?

Also: you can contact Customer Care, they login to your system and figure it out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this experence. I am hoprful that the issue is resolved by now. If not,  I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?  
    Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.  

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines