• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator error "An unknown error has occurred"

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in an .ai file that I have saved frequently before. Suddenly when I try to save the file, I get an error that reads "an unknown error has occurred" and the file won't save at all, anywhere. I have not seen this error message before and have had no issues opening or saving the file up until this point.

I need to have the file as an .ai file (not .eps or any other format). I am working in Illustrator CC (2015.3) and using macOS Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Do your files have linked assets?

A similar thread came up a long time ago and removing linked assets fixed it- one of them was corrupted.

Another solution would be to reset your Illustrator preferences (hold Shift+Opt+Cmd before startup).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this experience. In addition to the suggestions given in earlier responses, we'd recommend you to update the app to the latest version. Steps are shared here.

If the issue still persist, you could check a few more things:

1. Is the file being saved on network drive/shared folder/external HDD? If yes, try saving it locally & see if it helps.
  2. Is the issue related to a specific file? If yes, please follow the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you attempting to save to a network or remote disk?

Does the error occur when saving to your desktop?

Also, if you upgraded Sierra over CC2015, you may want to try and reinstall after you upgrade your OS.

There have been multiple reports of CC2015.x not working fully with Sierra, which was released after 2015.

The only other option would be to upgrade to CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that CC2017 is also having this issue. I'm saving to my local and it spits up the attached error when I try and save the document.

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 4.47.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same F problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues with CC2017 also!! This and others. SO frustrating as cannot save files or access previous saved files. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same problems. I have to have some files finalized and seems no way to talk to anyone at Adobe for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DeannaJH  schrieb

I'm having major issues with CC2017 also!! This and others. SO frustrating as cannot save files or access previous saved files. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same problems. I have to have some files finalized and seems no way to talk to anyone at Adobe for help!

Do you have a printer installed, set up as default printer and turned on?

If you don't have a printer, install a PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Monika, I do. I've tried alternately printing to my printer as a PDF with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of printer are you using? What OS and version? Monika's advice is to install a virtual printer which directly creates PDF files. AI needs to see an active printer to write data to the file being printed for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Microsoft Windows 10. Actual printer is HP Officejet Pro, but I instead of trying to save the design as an ai's PDF, which shows an error code, I use the following alternate printer (which I use for other documents and works fine), but apparently this isn't what you or Monika are referring to.

print details.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not knowing a lot about Windows, but it seems this is a viable printer option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try re-starting illustrator, that should do it, to be sure also convert all fonts into outline in case there is a corrupt font involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message pops up whenever I try to save the file in a different format to my desktop. I am working in EPS format and still can't seem to save as a PDF or AI file at all. No locked or hidden layers, so that can't be the issue either.... I did try resetting Illustrator preferences and that also didn't seem to make a difference....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessicar67402057 schrieb:

The error message pops up whenever I try to save the file in a different format to my desktop. I am working in EPS format and still can't seem to save as a PDF or AI file at all. No locked or hidden layers, so that can't be the issue either.... I did try resetting Illustrator preferences and that also didn't seem to make a difference....

Is a printer connected, turned on and set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your files have linked assets?

A similar thread came up a long time ago and removing linked assets fixed it- one of them was corrupted.

Another solution would be to reset your Illustrator preferences (hold Shift+Opt+Cmd before startup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, so much, this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool resolved. It's works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worksss!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me also, deleting the linked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem solved! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant! this worked for me, thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKS T___T thank u so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also check your disk permissions to make sure they are all set properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My disk permissions seem fine. I can read/write to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some testing, hidden layers have something to do with it. If doesn't happen for all layers, but when I hide certain top level layers and then attempt to save it throws the unknown error.

For context, I am on a Mac, running OS X El Captian Version 10.11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An issue is already being investigated which locked and/or hidden layers.

If some of your layers are locked/hidden, then this might occur. Can you check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines