Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 unable to save files. Error: "An unknown error has occurred."

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

What is happening with the Illustrator CC 2020 'Save' command???

Is there an update to resolve this yet? Getting the "An unknown error has occurred." every-time!!!

Lucky I didn't delete the old Illustrator CC 2019 version upon installing the new one. Is it just me or is everyone having this problem... It's a major issue when you can't even save the work after putting in a few hours already!!!

Can someone from Adobe advise the status of this ASAP?

Thanks DesignHiro

{Renamed by Mod}

Correct answer by DesignHiro | Community Beginner

Hi All,

This issue was a little more complex in my case to resolve. I just spent over an 1.5hrs with Adobe Support via chat and remote acess to my Mac to get it resolved.

We had to uninstall and re-install the CC Desktop App and the Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.0 and download to get Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.1

We tested it with a basic save function and it finally works... so far!

Thanks Adobe Support!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 unable to save files. Error: "An unknown error has occurred."

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

What is happening with the Illustrator CC 2020 'Save' command???

Is there an update to resolve this yet? Getting the "An unknown error has occurred." every-time!!!

Lucky I didn't delete the old Illustrator CC 2019 version upon installing the new one. Is it just me or is everyone having this problem... It's a major issue when you can't even save the work after putting in a few hours already!!!

Can someone from Adobe advise the status of this ASAP?

Thanks DesignHiro

{Renamed by Mod}

Correct answer by DesignHiro | Community Beginner

Hi All,

This issue was a little more complex in my case to resolve. I just spent over an 1.5hrs with Adobe Support via chat and remote acess to my Mac to get it resolved.

We had to uninstall and re-install the CC Desktop App and the Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.0 and download to get Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.1

Thanks Adobe Support!

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 03, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this version 24.0.1?

Where are you saving files?

Is a printer connected, turned on and set up as the default printer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

The version I have is 24.0.0, but CC has not offered me an update to 24.0.1 I haven't been offered or heard of this bug fix.

I run and save all files to a server and my Fuji Xerox printer is setup correctly as a default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We have fixed this issue in the latest release (24.0.1). Please open Creative Cloud Desktop application > click on updates. If you don't see any update available for Illustrator, please click on three dots next to Update all and Check for updates.

check for updates 2.png

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks Adobe Support!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing the same error and have updated to 24.0.1 with no change. I still get the error message consistently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2019 1
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

so, I am also having this problem since updating to the latest version.

I can't see an update to 24.0.1 anyway, but i found that the problem is isolated to saving ai files. I can save .eps files and pdfs with no problems. Even opening a ai and saving causes the error.

This isn't the first time ive had it, previous versions have also done this to me, thoug ive not had it for a while. Ive tried resetting preferences etc, no good.

How do i fix it? Or at least ge to the 24.0.1 update to see if that works?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try an uninstall and re-install of the CC Desktop App, if the 24.0.1 update appears after that then proceed to update Illustrator CC 2020 v24.0.0 to v24.0.1

if that fails you might need to connect with Adobe support via adobe chat and get them to remote access your Mac or PC.

I hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you please confirm if reinstalling the applications as suggested above helped to resolve the issue or the issue still persists?
If not, please reach us at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/contact.html for installation. Please click the chat icon in the lower-right corner and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue and cannot save any of the work I have been doing this afternoon. If I close the file I lose all the work. Can it be fixed with the file open?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this SAME error over and over, since last update. I CAN NOT save my documents. This has NEVER happened before. This latest update has ruined my work flow. " Can not save document" "Unknown Error". And I lose ALL my work. THis has happened 6x in last day. What is going on? No, it has nothing to do with scratch disk space, not wacom.. it has only to do with latest update. I can copy and paste to another document, one small item and save as eps. But if I copy and paste entire document, will not save. Thinks it is too complex. I have never had this issue occur in the past, only if I had unreasonably complex document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where are you trying to save?

Does it help when you turn off "Save in background" in the preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off "Make PDF compatible" and "Compression" in the save as dialog box worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version as well and like you I have never had this issue until this version. Until this is resolved I can make a suggestion that will help in many cases. I found that I can save my file as a PDF still. So then I quit Illustartor and open up the PDF file. It's not ideal but it has saved me various times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 2
StaceT LATEST
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem but it seems like it's only with .ai files so far. When this happens I can still save as EPS or PDF. This problem is really frustrating and seems to have just started with the last update to Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 1
Resources