• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2021 can only "save as" 2020 (?)

Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I choose "Save as…" from 2021 (25.3.1) it appears that I can only save is as a 2020 file, not 2021. Why? I am wondering

dv8kiwi_0-1625622635802.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Not an oversight I think. You'll see that although Illustrator has over 20 versions, there are only 12 formats. It's a good thing when it doesn't change on a new version, because sharing files is simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file format hasn't changed. Probably just an oversight where someone forgot to update the UI string in the list.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an oversight I think. You'll see that although Illustrator has over 20 versions, there are only 12 formats. It's a good thing when it doesn't change on a new version, because sharing files is simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if I definitely want to overwrite the file, although Illustrator believes it is not changed (or if I want to change the setting of "pdf compatible"), "save as" to current version and same name was the best way to do.

So I think I will miss something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Current version" means "current version of file format". Currently, that would be "Illustrator 2020 file format". Or so it seems to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Feb 24, 2024 and I don't see anyone from Adobe answering this question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@forebrain  schrieb:

It is Feb 24, 2024 and I don't see anyone from Adobe answering this question. 

The file version is 2020. The file can be opened by all version 2020 and up.

It's important to not that you need to be careful with objects that were not supported in the version you are using. Do not touch those objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines