• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2021 crashes while moving objects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past 24 hours, I've had Illustrator crash a half dozen times while I am simply dragging / repositioning one or more objects. These objects are not leaving the pastboard, and are not so complex (from the standpoint of total anchors) to warrant crashing. Having to revert back to version 24. I can't for the life of me understand why core functions are consistently broken or buggy in new releases of the app. I thought I learned my lesson before by not updating for at least several months after a new release comes out.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Well I'll be damned. After fiddling with uninstall and reinstalling, now it works.

Sorry for the waste of time. Good ol' uninstall did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the crashing! I know that's really frustrating.  Which operating system you are working on? Is the issue related to a specific document? Where are the files saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 

You may also try the steps shared on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-fix-a-crash-and-recover-documents-in-illustrator/t...) and share your observations with us. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was experiencing the bug within the same file (though it was the only file I was working on after the update, so I can't confirm that it *wasn't* happening in other documents). I've since removed Illustrator 2021, and have reverted back to Illustrator 2020, where there are zero issues working with this document.

My operating system at the time of these crashes was Mac OS Big Sure 11.0, though I've since updated my system to 11.1.

My file was stored locally (HD / Users / User/Dropbox/folder/file).

Since the simple fix was reverting to the previous release, I still feel that it is always a bad idea to update Adobe software when it is released. There seems to be a pattern where it takes 2-3 months for Adobe to fix all the bugs that the community finds in new releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing with the latest version of illustrator. Illustrator not responding/freezing when moving text boxes around. This needs to be fixed asap. Using Windows 11, illustrator version is 27.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the file?

How much RAM is installed?

Did you already reboot the computer and launched only Illustrator and nothing else? Particularly not a browser and especially not the browser Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 have 16gb ram. The file is rather small (1-2 mb), and there are only about 3-4 objects in it. This is quite peculiar because it started doing this with the most recent update, I never had this issue before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every update makes the application more demanding in memory, because every update adds features to it.

Just some rectangles or just some rectangles with complex patterns, effects and transparency?

16 GB is at the low end of hardware specifictions. It's not the bare minimum, but also just the recommended minimum for Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I tried it with two objects, one text box and a small png image and the freezing happens. I doubt that it is a ram issue. The computer is no slouch in general... In any case, if this is the recommended minimum, it should work at least for doing non-hardcore work. The window hangs with a "not responding" thing appearing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Hugo27455936jbi0,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/fix-crash-on-launch-issues.html) and checking if it helps?

Also, kindly share the crash report by following the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html). While submitting the report, kindly use the same email account used here in the community so we can locate it quickly.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the program does not crash. Illustrator freezes for a couple of seconds when I try to move a text box around, then it resumes. Actually, I just figured out that this happens generally if I copy a text box and paste it, and then immediately try to move the pasted object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which other apps are running? The browser Chrome?

Anything special with that text object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reproduced the behavior with only Illustrator running. The object is just plain text. I added a video in a subsequent response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a video of the behavior here. As you can see, I'm trying to grab the text object and move it around after pasting. It doesn't, and eventually the "swirl" appears (not responding). Then after a little while, I can grab it and move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you copy it from?

Which font is applied?

Did you laready try and reset the Illustrator preferences?

You can rename the preferences folder, because that can be undone.

And also you can have Customer Care take a look into your system to check it out: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to mention: I tried many things but this is still not fixed. I really doubt that the RAM is the issue. Everything else in illustrator works fine. Hopefully a patch will address this at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I want to update about my problem with illustrator:

I just re-installed illustrator v26. Everything work perfectly fine.

The problem is only with v27. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok last clarification; installed version is now 26.5.2, everything works perfectly. v27 : each time I copy an object (for example a plain text box) there is a freeze for about 10 seconds, then I can resume moving the object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I'll be damned. After fiddling with uninstall and reinstalling, now it works.

Sorry for the waste of time. Good ol' uninstall did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines