• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2021 - Opened Files Saved From Illustrator 2018 Has Layers Locked and Hidden

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently we had a file that was a saved in Illustrator 2018 by someone in another department.

In our department we have Illustrator 2021 and it is updated as soon as the updates appear.

Opening one of the 2018 files, we did not notice that one of the layers was locked and hidden, so something almost went to print with an incorrect file.

In another file, we noticed right away that some content was missing, and saw the locked and hidden layer.

Going back to the 2018 machine, we opened the files from there and those layers were both visible and unlocked.

We were able to confirm that opening the exact same files again with Illustrator 2021 opened them with the specific layers locked and hidden.

What could be causing something like that? Never seen anything like this one.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save your files? How do you exchange them?

Did you open those same files on the other computer? Or did you open a local copy of the file?

What kind of file is it? An AI file? A PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are all EPS files, and they are saved to a Synology DiskStation NAS, and we open them from there.

Each of us opens the exact same file, it is not copied locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and first download the file from the NAS and then open it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good idea. I just copied the files over to my desktop and gave it a whirl, but I still got the same result.

In one file, a Layer named 'FIRSTNAMES' (in the middle of a stack of 13 layers) is locked and hidden in 2021, but unlocked and visible in 2018.

A different file has a Layer named 'Background' (at the bottom of a stack of 6) which is locked and hidden in 2021, but unlocked and visible in 2018.

But your suggestion gives me an idea. Maybe the Synology is doing some sort of versioning? I will have to investigate further...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines