• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator (2021; v25) Not Batch Processing in Background - macOS Catalina (10.15)

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on batch processing files in Illustrator. I'm running Illustrator 2021 (v25) and MacOS Catalina (10.15.7).

I have a batch process for exporting print film scans and exporting them as TIFs. (They're scanned in a film descreening format that Photoshop cannot open; Illustrator can open and export them as TIFs.)

A recent Illustrator update seems to have changed how batch processing functions. Unless I am in Illustrator as the the front/active app, the batch processing stops. If I click over to Finder or Photoshop or any other app, Illustrator stops batch processing. This defeats the whole goal of batch processing. 

This action/batch process is something I've used for years. I'm stumped as to why it no longer works in the background/not as the "live" app. I batch thousands of files at a time, so I this puts a major hitch in my workflow.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the settings for my Export to TIF action.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.17.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.37.57 PM.png

When I run the action manually on open files, it kicks out of a TIF. When I choose "Batch" and select a folder to process a large number of files, Illustrator exports a TIF to the folder indicated—but also saves an .AI file.

It seems to be in this .AI process that Illustrator hangs up on the batch process and won't advance to batch the next file unless the Illustrator app is "clicked on"/the front app in use.

Any hunches as to how I can address this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's gotta be something about Illustrator 2021. Reverting to Illustrator 2020 (v24.3) and the same batch process chugs along in the background just fine. (Batch process still kicks out the .AI file for some reason…)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue has already been mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/when-using-the-action-to-batch-files-illustrator-stops-ru...

It still works for me fine (latest version of Illustrator on Mac OS 10.14.6).

At the moment I am not quite sure what may cause the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines