Illustrator 2021 won't open CAD drawings

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been used to opening vector drawings from Gerber in ai format in Illustrator but since the new update I'm no longer able to open any of these files. I get a dialogue box with options to chose Text or AutoDesk Real DWG, but none of the options work. Selecting the text option just shows garbled text and the AutoDesk Real DWG option produces an error message: The operation could not be completed because of unknown error 2067. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know how to fix this??? Many thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Bug, Draw and design, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021
Hi there, Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try updating the application to version 25.0.1 and let us know how it goes. Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help. Regards, Srishti

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues placing or directly opening DXF files that are created in Fusion 360 into Illustrator 2021.  No errors are given, it just come in as a blank page.  Yet the same DXF file views fine with an online viewer and also opens or places fine in Illustrator 2020.

I've just upgrade a lab of 20 devices with the latest version of CC (ie 2021) and now I'm going to have to go back an reinstall Illustrator 2020 so we can do our old workflows like we used to.

Please can someone from Adobe have a look at this/ comment?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try updating the application to version 25.0.1 and let us know how it goes.

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Yes the issue with dxf's from fusion 360 not placing in Illustrator 2021 is fixed in update 25.0.1 for me.

Thanks

Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded the most recent Illustrator trial and I am not able to open CAD files, which is the main thing I use illustrator for (I have a hard copy of CS6 and have never had a issue) I have not found any solution, is this being fixed? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Is there any update on the DXF problem, Just updated to v 25.2.1 today and I'm now unable to open DXF files, getting the message "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [2067]" Not ideal as the majority of my work centres around opening DXF in Illustrator.

Any help would be much appricieated

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues, not able to open (or place)  DWG or DXF files, error 2067.

Please fix!

Thanks, kind regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I has not been fixed wahtsoever. Please FIX THIS. WE RELY ON ADOBE TO WORK PROPERLY, THERE ARE DEADLINES AND OTHER THINGS GOING ON. THIS ISSUE HAS CARRIED ON FOR MONTHS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only seeing this thread for the first time 2 months after it was first posted since someone else bumped it. Anyway, most industry-specific sign design applications, such as Gerber, tend to do better exporting files in Adobe Illustrator AI or EPS format for use in applications like Illustrator or CorelDRAW. I have a lot of experience using apps like CASmate and Flexi and usually those have worked best exporting EPS or AI files rather than formats like DXF or DWG. Export glitches are still possible.

One thing I also usually do is convert any live text objects to outlines/curves before exporting. Some sign making applications have used their own proprietary font formats (CASmate used its own SCF format, which Flexi still supports). But those odd font formats won't be maintained in a file export. Even if the layout is using standard TTF, T1 or OTF fonts things like tracking and line spacing can be affected. I get driven nuts just moving artwork between CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for how wacked out active type objects can arrive in the rival application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Illustrator 25.1 suddenly won't open .dxf files. I had to uninstall and reinstall 25.0.1.

Easy fix, but a pain in the @$$.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti, Unfortunately I'm still not able to open Dxf files even with the newest Illustrator. I just uninstalled my Illustrator and installed the latest version but still no luck. Thanks, Zoe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - Same problem here - doesn't work even with version 25.01 or with reinstallation. 

Thanks for your help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Although the original problem was fixed in version 25.0.1 realease.  Now its broken again in version 25.1.

Now the scaling feature (in File:->Place:- Show Import Options) doesn't work at all. 

It doesn't matter what units are choosen in document setting or program preferrences or what scale factor you use when placing, it alway comes into illustrator in Points.  Very frustrating.

Work around until Adobe fixed this new probably that they have introduced in the lastest reaease is to place the DXF as you usually would.

Then select the newly imported sketch,

Then Choose Object:->Transform:->Scale.

If your your original DXF was in mm, you need to uniform scale by 283.465% to resize the DXF to the correct size. 

A simply google search for the scale factor from whatever units to points for anyone creating their DXF if different units. 

Regards

Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might check to see if the 25.2 point release just released today fixed the issue or not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby,

Just installed update 25.2 and now the scaling feature used when placing DXF's now works as expected.  

Thanks

Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into the same problem, and after reading this thread, I updated to version 25.2, but I'm still getting the same error code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working also for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Illustrator 25.2.1 still not importing or placing DWG or DXF files. Error code 2067, the operation cannot complete, unknown error.

Please fix!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also running into this problem I have 25.2.1 Version and I am trying to import, place, insert anything with a .dxf file and just keep getting the same Error 2067 as the above people have mentioned. Please fix this issue, some of these vectors are extremely time-consuming to "re-create" in AI for some of my projects. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue, as well. 

The adobe staff say to "reach out if we need help" which is exactly what we are doing but they arent giving us any advice other than to update the software. My Illustrator is now 25.2.1 and it won't open a client's .dwg file. Can anyone please help?????????

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Liana00michelle 

I had this issue and the only way I was able to make a .DXF or .DWG work AT ALL, was to backdate my AI version to the 25.0.1 Once I got the cloud to backdate to that version I had no problems importing, copying, dragging either of those files into Illustrator. I know it's annoying to do. But it's the only advice I have found to work until they either update or patch the current version. 

Hope that helps. Sorry, it's not better news. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tiffany.
I found the same way out of the problem.:)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried several verions and I still couldn't open DFX files. I have spend 3 days so far trying to solve this problem. I am desperate. I got these DFX files sent from someone else a while ago. Now the only way to open them is to download a CAD program and start learning how to use it in order to save real scale and then open in AI. I have lost my patience really 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask what version you backdated too? Because specifically, 25.0.1 is the only one I got to work on. 

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties, I get it. I hope you were able to find a solution, if not, maybe try AutoCad. That one is not too terrible and should have a lot of troubleshooting forums or videos to help for learning it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried them all back to 24.3 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines