Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 24.1 - Issue "Can't save the illustration. .278"

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I've updated my version of illustrator earlier this week to 24.1 on Mac OS 10.15.4 and I'm having an issue that I can't manage to find a solution for. Basically, whenever I try to save any files on my main hard drive I get a pop-up saying "Can't save the illustration. .278". I've managed to find a work-around where I can just save my file to my external hard drive and copy it after on my main drive, but it's still really annoying to have to do every time I have to save my file.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Can you try and uncheck all those settings that improve saving files in the preferences?

Also: do you have iCloud set up? It might interfere with Illustrator.

Are you saving into a synchronized folder? Again: might interfere with Illustrator.

You could try and have Customer Care take a look. Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the pop-up looks like ^Here's what the pop-up looks like ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by cleaning out my hard drive, which was almost full. And I also uninstalled old versions of illustrator. Somehow, one of those things worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this only happens with one particular drive? Or one particular file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happens when I try saving to my main drive. I tried importing my artwork in a new document and the same error pops up. No matter what file I try to save it just doesn't want to save it to my main drive. It only works if I save it to my external ssd which never happened before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this error can have different reasons.

Sometimes it's because of an external disk, sometimes because of a missing printer.

Sometimes because of the cmputer having some hiccup (not rebooted for days etc.)

Might be other reasons.

So when was your last reboot?

Do you have a printer attached? If not, set up a PDF printer

Are all disks checked, privileges set correctly?

Is Illustrator allowed to write to the disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this morning I had a new mac update which I thought could have fixed the issue but didn't. I've tried rebooting my computer but the same issue occurs. I have a printer that I use over wifi which has been the case for over a year and never had any problems with. As of the disk access, I verified in my system preferences that illustrator had full disk access.

I'm really not sure what's wrong... I've been using illustrator for over 3 years and never had any problems with it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printer over Wifi might the cause of issues with Illustrator.

Please set up a PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How should I proceed with Mac Os to create the PDF printer? I've never had to do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither, but I have networked printer that just works.

You could also try and fix the installation of your current printer.

Turn it on (important)

Make it the default printer

Update the driver if possible.

Make sure it's accessible when Illustrator pings it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to re-install my printer and updating the drivers but it still has the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and uncheck all those settings that improve saving files in the preferences?

Also: do you have iCloud set up? It might interfere with Illustrator.

Are you saving into a synchronized folder? Again: might interfere with Illustrator.

You could try and have Customer Care take a look. Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there,

I know this is a late reply, but I recently had the same issue where I was trying to save an SVG from an Ai file onto my portable hard drive. I found succes by moving the larger folder on my portable hard drive (containing smaller folders) onto my Desktop, then deleted the (smaller) folder in which I was specifically trying to save to. I am now able to save as SVG as per usual. I have no idea why this problem arose, or why this was the solution, but here I am. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines