• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator .ai file crops when placing in Indesign

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't usually have this issue but lately we have noticed that when we are importing (placing) .ai files into InDesign the RHS gets cropped. Ths only seems to happen when we are working on very large fies that are close to the artwboard max width. For example, I am placing a 5500mm x 300mm .ai file into InDesign at 5% so the image area in Indesign is (should be 275mm x 15mm). The height is correct but the width of the imported image is about 253mm.

If I import the .ai at 100% in come in as 5000mm x 300mm. It would seem that whatever the Illustrator artboard size, there is a maximum import (place) width of 5000mm?

If I reduce the artwork by 50% it come in in proportion. I can obviously do this as a work around but it is quite frustrationg as I want to keep all my artwork files at 100%.

And....

Does anyone know of a way to force Illustrator to snap properly in increments of 1mm? This whole 10.0257mm thing really annoys me. InDesign seems to handle thei really well. When you draw a rectangle it seems to understand that you are more likely to want a whole nimber, not something to 13 decimal places!

Cheers

Chris

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

indesign imports the ai file as if its a pdf. The max size of a PDF page size in mm is 5080x5080. you will have to reduce the artwork in illustrator to 50% for eg.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

indesign imports the ai file as if its a pdf. The max size of a PDF page size in mm is 5080x5080. you will have to reduce the artwork in illustrator to 50% for eg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines