Illustrator being extremely slow and keeps "Not Responding"

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator will load files fine but as soon as I do anything (simple tasks like changing line weights) it will freeze the screen goes black at the top on the page it says "Not Responding" then about 30 seconds later it will go back to normal having completed the task. Obviously it is impossible and almost painful having to work this way. All my system requirements are fine, all my other Adobe apps are working fine. Have no clue what to do please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017
Have you tried making a new file and copy/paste the objects from the CAD/PDF into the new file, then saving as an .ai file? Have you released all the clipping masks which might be from the PDF?

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working over a network? Does it do the same if you have the file on your computer HD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No working from home and the file is on my laptop hard drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, was the file generated and saved using the same version of AI? Is a printer available or have you installed a virtual printer if a physical one is not available?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the file was imported from a pdf. The original file was made on AutoCad. Yes I have a printer but I have "Adobe Pdf" set at default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making a new file and copy/paste the objects from the CAD/PDF into the new file, then saving as an .ai file? Have you released all the clipping masks which might be from the PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried copy/paste method. Seems to be working a lot better but still a little slow. Thanks very much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still freezing quite regularly and coming up with the message "not responding" just not every time I do something, anything else it could be?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check for Clipping Masks or Clipping Groups in the Layer panel?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is no clipping mask, now i'm using Live Paint Bucket and its working fine but it freezes every time I save/undo/redo or change tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it is something with Illustrator because I've only had it a month and it is doing the same thing! Makes you want to throw the entire computer out the window! It is like pressing an elevato0r button, nothing happens so you do it again then you have to stop on every single floor for the rest of you life. SO frustrating! And it can't be something we are doing when multiple people are having the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines