Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Calligraphy Pen Pressure not Working

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

my computer lost it's battery during the night yesterday, and when I went back onto Illustrator after recharging my computer to draw, the calligraphy pen tool that I was using did not respond to any pressure from my drawing pen, and it would only create a line of just one thickness, just like in that 5pt. or 15pt. pen default mode. I restarted my Wacom pad, and also tried the calligraphic pen tool in Photoshop, which worked by the way, but still did not work on Illustrator. I have also tried opening and closing the file again. I am working on a time sensitive project, and it's really frustrating that this issue is happening to me now.

I'd appreciate any help,

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

You could try if resetting the preferences helps in this issue.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Use the method of renaming the folder in order to be able to reverse the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monica 

I'm having the same problem my tablet is xp pen g640s and i am using illustrator 2020, win 7, the pressure option isn't available as in the photo above can you help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried everything that has been mentioned in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reaching out. According to this page Star 06 Wireless Painting Drawing Pen Graphics Tablet|XP-PEN, this tablet should work with Illustrator, however, the version is not specified.

As Monika suggested, I would request if you can try increasing the slider value and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mark,

you might have to change the variation of the size. When you select the presure option it appears on its right, increase it to the maximum and try. I faced the same problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm new to using Illustrator and I do not have much knowledge about exactly how it works but I have been troubleshooting for a few hours with no positive results. I am using a Macbook Air with another tablet and I downloaded the appliction from the Adobe Creative Cloud application and there are no Wacom files that i can find to reset or fix in any way. I will very much appreciate any type of help with this dilemma. Thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all: Pleaase create a new thread. Don't answer in this one. I could hardly find your post in this utter mess (which is not your fault).

Please tell us which version and system you have

Which graphic tablet it is

Did it ever work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

איך עושים את זה?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
בבקשה
אשמח מאד שתמחקו אותי מהתפוצה ולא אקבל יותר שום מסר. לא מצליחה לצאת בעצמי כי
הכל באנגלית. תודה רבה !
הודיה

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is 2 years too late, but i had the same problem, and i found that if i just restarted illustrator it fixes it. I plugged in my wacom tablet after i had illustrator opened and it didnt recognize it so then it wouldnt give me the pressure option. but restarting illustrator fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restarting illustrator worked for me too, and I have the star G430s tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue when creating custom calligraphic brushes, but later realized I had “Variation” set to zero. You (of course) need to set a value greater than 0, as well as size to “pressure” in order for it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution to this problem is to make sure the application you are using is added to your tablets settings. I have a Wacom Intuous Pro,  as soon as I added Adobe applications to the tablet settings I was able to change the pressure sensitivity of brushes through Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 3.19.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I liked this response a bit prematurely as I haven’t tried it yet, on laptop with no tablet connected, but my gut tells me that this is a eureka moment to a common issue for many Wacom users. One solve has been just to restart Illustrator, which sometimes worked, sometimes not, very frustrating when it didn’t. This must be it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi im using the hp spectre laptop and pen and the pen pressure on the calligraphy pen wont work im not sure f its just the model of the laptop but ive looked at the preferences and pressure is grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get to this screen?  Where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do you get to this screen? Where is it?"

This thread is 3 years ols and unfortunately it's not possible to tell to who you replied.

So please tell us your system, version and the model of your Wacom and then tell us the nature of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Catalina, version 10.15.6

MacBook Air 13-inch, Early 2015

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Wacom Cintiq 16 (1660)

I'm trying to create a new calligraphic brush with pen pressure sensitivity (like I'm seeing in a you tube tutorial where a person is actually creating it and it's actually working), but when I try to do it, pressure is greyed out.  I've tried:

Restarting, reinstalling the cintiq drivers, putting illustrator into the wacom pen settings application box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you properly install the latest Wacom driver?

Did you set it up according to the Wacom documentation (which includes some system settings)?

Did you in the Illustrator preferences try and to deactivate "Wacom" and activate "Live Preview" (I know that sounds weird, but it helped some people).

Does it work when you use the brushes from the Wacom 6D brushes library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Pen pressure problems as well.

Huion KAMVAS Pro 16

Latest version of Illustrator

Works fine in Photoshop but the pressure option in illustrator is grayed out. Not able to use it no matter what I set the sliders to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/shannon+spillman  schrieb

Having Pen pressure problems as well.

Huion KAMVAS Pro 16

Latest version of Illustrator

Works fine in Photoshop but the pressure option in illustrator is grayed out. Not able to use it no matter what I set the sliders to.

Please install a Wacom driver on top of the original driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that. Doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work!

Reinstalled Drivers 4 times. Reinstalled AI 4 times. Had Adobe tech support taking my computer over and trying...not working!

Works well with PS not with AI.

It is a bug and they need to fix it ASAP

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 15.55.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got my Huion Kamvas Pro 16 to work today. I have tried everything I could think of for the last week. Finally today I started up Illustrator, openEd the file I wanted to work on then plugged in my tablet and sure as shit it worked! Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine still not working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines