• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can get laggy when working on a file

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experienced illustrator can get laggy while working on a file, and the only way to clear the lag is to close the file (close not quit) and reopen and then it's fine? The lag seems to suddenly happen mainly on using guides when zoomed into something. I also notice when it happens to a file, if I then open another file there is no lag on the new file – so the lag only affects the file I was working on (until I close and reopen it).

I'm running latest software – but it's been being doing this for quite some time now.

Any ideas what could be causing this / how to reolve would be much appreciated, thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version?

Which system?

How much RAM?

Which options for file-recovery?

What's in the file?

Where is the file located?

How is the file saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

All software uptodate: Adobe Illustrator 2020, Catalina 10.15.7, (but the issue also happened with earlier software versions).
Mac spec: 16GB Ram – iMac late 2015, 4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB

File located on hard drive, extrenal drive for recovery 

File saved as .ai 

It can happen to any file, this particular one has vector shapes, images (jpgs, pngs), type, size: file size 12MB, but happens to much smaller file sizes too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the dictation turned off in the system settings?

Is Photoshop running in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other apps running in background and dictation off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You experience the same problem in every new document, it means that it is caused by the incompatibility of existing components.

If it occurs only in a specific document, a specific function, it is due to a specific disorder.

In the past, I had a crash problem when preparing with only character and paragraph style settings. This problem recurred for a while and then disappeared. It may be necessary to look at the qualitative impairment of the components that make up the study and the document.

Save the Illustartor document on first opening without checking the PDF Editable function. Then repeat any problematic process. Share the result with us.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can happen with any file. As suggested, I've saved this particular file without pdf editable function and the same thing still happens.

I've noticed that the lag only starts / is triggered when I have show guides on and I zoom in and out using the keyboard shortcut: command & spacebar and click holding down on the mouse moving it forward and backwards to zoom in and out. This magnification function works absolutely fine at first and instantly zooms in and out without any lag at all. But then, for some reason, after a while of working on a file using this magnification function as described, something happens and when I then use the shorthand command and move the mouse forward and backwards to instantly zoom in and out, the zoom is no longer instant but instead, as I move the mouse it drags a marque which it zooms into. And then any kind of movement / operation working around the file is very laggy. The only way to clear the lag is to then close and reopen the file (I don't have to quit). Interestingly, as I mentioned in my original post, when the lag happens to a particular file, I can still open a new file and work on that new file with no lag at all, but when I switch back to the problem file the lag is still there – so the lag only applies to the file that triggered it not any other file (unless of course any other file triggers a lag too). 

As a test, I did try and copy the individual components of a problem file one by one onto a new file to see if I could identify a particular object / image type or text that was triggering the lag. At first all was fine until I pasted a line of text, which triggered the lag. So, I then cleared the new file and started by copying that same line of text, but this then didn't cause a problem, so I then continued copying elements over until this time an image seemed to cause the lag. So again, I cleared the new file and started by copying over the same image, but there was no problem this time with that same image until I eventually copied something else over which triggered the lag. So it seems like it's not any one particular thing that can cause the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a Mac user, i highly recommended restarting your computer.

try turning on/off Preview on CPU/GPU  ( cmd + E )

if the issue is still there, reset preferences settings .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your advice – I have since consulted Adobe technical support on this and they have reset illustrator preferences. This reset the view guides option back to solid lines, which has removed the lag I have been experiencing when using guides (I usualy have this set to dots view in preferences) when used in conjunction with control + spacebar and click forwards and backwards on mouse to live zoom in and out. When I set the guides view back to dots, the lag eventually kicks back in with the zoom option as explained. Therefore, Adobe have confirmed that it sounds like it's a bug that is causing the issue and they will try and address in future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines