Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't save due to errors, then can only partially recover files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm using Illustrator CC 25.0.01 on a MacBook Pro (Catalina v 10.15.4). I'm working from my desktop and not on a server because I'm having so many issues. When saving files with pattern swatches (even if the files are only 30MB), it often takes 30 min or so to do background save. But more often than not, it seems, after waiting for the doc to save (and watching the progress in the tab), I get an error message that Illustrator can't save due to errors. If I'm feeling patient, I will save again. When I save this second time, Illustrator doesn't do a background save; the status bar comes up and I wait. For files this small, I have waited HOURS - literally - since I didn't want to lose work - and about 75% of the time, the file will save. But why it takes so long, I don't understand? And during this time, if I right click on the AI icon on my dock, it will tell me Illustrator is not responding. 

When this happens, these files then give me yet ANOTHER error when I try to open them: 'Illustrator could only partially read this file. We recovered as much of the file as possible, but some content might be missing. Open to view the recovered file.' 

It's becoming incredibly counter-productive. I spend hours waiting for things to save. I uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator. This was happening with the older version so I updated to the newer version and it's still happening. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30mb is not a small file, mine are often 2.5mb going to press as final art. This suggests that you are not familiar with turning off pdf compatible setting by doing a save as. Are you using a pattern fil which is more efficient, or objects stepped & repeated multiple times.

If you need more help, let us know how your art is constructed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30mb is an average size. Often pattern swatches are deleted or rasterized to further reduce size. But sometimes the file itself is comprised of BMPs or TIFs as well as vector artwork (making production ready files for factories which can only be downsized so much). I've been doing textile design for 15 years so I am pretty familiar with turning off PDF compatible setting and this has not helped or solved the problem. I've since upgraded to Big Sur and uninstalled and reinstalled AI at both the current version as well as previous versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are the linked files in your project also local files?

What about fonts - are they OK?

Do you have a printer? When opening or saving files Illustrator looks for a printer. If it can't find one, it might behave funky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines