• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't use text that's not supported by any language even if it's unicode

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to use Runic text in an image but illustrator wouldn't enter anything but boxes with X's in them. I contacted support and they told me it was because no language supports the runic symbols.

This strikes me as absurd, as even applications such as notepad or openoffice can handle it, I could even send the runic text through the chat client I used to communicate with the support (as well as in google translate).

This should really be fixed.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font did you use?

Did you install a font that supports these characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I started out by using Kozuka Gothic Pro, but also tried Consolas and Arial, all of which have the characters. I used the same in other software such as notepad (Windows 10 built-in) and OpenOffice without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a font mentioned here (Junicode) and that worked fine:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/blogs/gotunicode/charts/runes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you KNOW these fonts contain Runic characters? Tip: you cannot use Word or Notepad to check this because they will switch to a substitute font whenever it is needed. Illustrator will not do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inserted the characters by using the character map viewer in Windows, it lets you select a font and shows blanks where there's no symbol, so I'm going to assume that the font did indeed have those symbols, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character map is indeed what I would have chosen. I have to say that on my Windows 10 system I see no Runic characters in Arial. Wikipedia suggests Segoe UI Symbol, in fact I found it in Segoe UI Historic. Maybe I'm just not seeing it in Arial, can you share a similar screen shot for Arial?runic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be fair I only looked in the character map for Kozuka Gothic Pro (EL), not for the others. I mentioned the others because the runic characters were still visible in notepad when I changed font to those (inside notepad), so I assumed they had the symbols as well, but perhaps they were simply substituted from another font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Illustrator:

runic2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines