• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2017 slow on iMac 5k

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What at first appeared was a snapping issue, which sent me down a road of exploring and turning off all snap and dynamic guide options, turns out to be some kind of performance issue. Illustrator lags (jerks) when moving objects including anchor points. I have not been successful finding anything on the forum that seems to address my exact issue.

Latest updates have been installed.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Thanks in advance for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, nothing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When nobody has had this issue and/or nobody can reproduce it (because of lack of this specific hardware) then it might actually happen that you get no answer. Should not, but does happen. 90% of people here are not Adobe employees. On top of that: holiday season.

If you want to report a bug: please use Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Also: At the top of the forum's intro page there's an invitation to prerelease:

Illustrator

Perhaps you'd want to enter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here - also 5K iMac (1 month old), with 64Gb ram.  Anything more than a simple document results in the spinning beach ball or dreadful lag.  Interestingly, my 5 year old MacBook (1st generation retina, 8Gb Ram), copes with the most complex documents without much issue.  Photoshop etc all runs fine and as expected on the iMac - definitely an Illustrator issue, and judging from the various threads I've read, seems specific to the 5K iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee78UK, thank you so much for your reply.

With all of the Illustrator users out there I thought for sure I was not the only one having issues.

Photoshop and Illustrator is getting so slow at startup too.

Ah well...what can ya do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in a 5k iMac and Illustrator is stupid slow. Seems to mostly be if there are placed graphics—jpeg, psd, png. It's painful to work in. I'm considering going back to 2015—for other apps as well, it seems 2017 has been really buggy with little enhancement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also the same issue with exact same hardware and cannot believe that a machine that costs so much money is not capable of working smoothly with graphic apps. Absolutely annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5K i7 iMac at work, and Adobe apps run fine. But I bought a 5K i5 iMac for home, and Photoshop runs terribly on it. I haven't noticed any issues with Illustrator, though. I think the 5K i5 iMac is like the iPad 3: woefully underpowered for the number of pixels it needs to push.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anything fixed these slow issues?  I just started using a 5K 27" late 2015 iMac and all of the Creative Suite applications run much slower than my 2012 MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To CTC-NH. Creative Suite? as in CS6 or older, or do you mean some generation of Creative Cloud? 2018 releases seem problematic for some, as are 2017 for these folks, so they went back to the 2015.3.1 Illustrator and Photoshop 2015.5.1 (AKA version 17.0.1) I'm sure it's dependent on what operating system they are running on and the 5K iMac from 2015 needs at least Yosemite, which is the same as the minimum requirement for Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest 2018 version of the Suite and latest Apple OS.  I posted the comment three months ago and it's not changed a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing your display to a non-HighDPI mode, which is 2560 x 1440 for your 27" iMac. That should give your iMac greater speed by not having to deal with 4 times as much screen to refresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, Im using Illustrator 2019 on a brand new 5k iMac Retina and ilustrator is running REALLY slow.

How do I change the display mode to an non HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I have the same problem, Im using Illustrator 2019 on a brand new 5k iMac Retina and ilustrator is running REALLY slow.

How do I change the display mode to an non HD?

Dictation feature is already turned off in your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its disabled. But what does that have to do with Illustrator?  

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

reginal12886178  schrieb

Yes, its disabled. But what does that have to do with Illustrator?  

It interferes with Illustrator in some sort.

Sorry, but that's about all that we know on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have a real powerhouse computer there, however I'm seeing a lot of these posts (look how we have 20 people just here, marking the same issue). It seems that although that card is fully supported on a Windows machine, (see Adobe Illustrator system requirements) it seems that on the Mac, they don't list video cards as specifically. I HIGHLY recommend Monika Gause​ suggestion to use the Bug/Feature request page. If enough people here submit the same issue, they're more likely to attend to it.

In the meantime, have you tried using the GPU performance button or preferences to see if that resolves the issue for the time-being?

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 2.17.34 PMadj.png@

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines