• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2019 doesn't turn snapping off, no matter what.

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Ever since the new update to the 2019 range of CC products, Illustrator has been acting weird and Photoshop crashes (A LOT) randomly and I'm pretty sure my rig is beefy enough to run any Adobe solution. Now Illustrator does not for the life of me turn off snapping. I've deactivated every possible snapping option that I'm aware of but it is still snapping (to grid, to pixels, to objects, etc...). I've uninstalled and reinstalled already, as well as trying it with both a new document and a document I was already working on. Nothing.

Am I missing something? Or is it just that Adobe has really wrecked their own products? Because hey, Adobe, I'm not paying over 50 dollars for your products to hinder my work instead of making it simpler, so fix your damn products!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This solved it for me! I love you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe Stop breaking and overly complicating your software. If it's not broke then don't fix it. I mean do you guys do any user research!!?? I know this forum is for illustrator -but for god sakes -stop trying to break after effects AND IF ANYTHING STOP CHANGING AND BREAKING PRIMARY FUNCTIONS -LIKE RAM PREVIEW. If you need my help bc you hired the wrong people then hit me up. I'll be happy to fix your issues for you. AND stop saying you're sorry -just fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mcbone,

Except for getting it off your chest, there's absolutely no reason to talk about your feelings about After Effects (a totally separate app which probably only a tiny number of Illustrator users have experience with).

You should post those feelings in the After Effects forum here:

After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I did all the above

-turn off snapping in prefs

-turn off snapping in the new magnet menu

-turned off snapping in view menu

Then I did (drumroll)

-View menu -uncheck smart guides

works now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm at my wits end. I'm using Illustrator cc2020 on a new iMac and i cannot for the life of me turn off snapping to points. All options under the view menu are turned off. Smart guides are turned off, magnet menu stuff is all turned off. WTH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac, I figured out that if you turn off smart guides, the snapping went away. Make sure to also turn off the tiny magnet icon on the right side of the menu bar (to the right of the Document Title). It was driving me insane. Customer support should have easily answered this question, instead, they ask for your System software and come up with these convoluted rabbit holes. Sheesh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tonyharmer  Addressed the issue correctly. The bigger issue is that Adobe should not be turning those functions ON as a default. Why would you create a function that forces the app to behave in a strange and erratic way from what the user is typically used to and then BURY the switch to undo this function in some obscure place. The phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is spot on in this case. I guess Adobe has to show that they are doing something for the big bucks they are asking people to shell out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tose snapping options are only turned on by default when you select a certain document profile. The snap to pixel is showed in your face after updating the app. So I'm not sure about your argument that this has been hidden from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a viable excuse. I didn't load any profile, I just opened the latest version of the app. Go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new file is loading a profile. All new files are created from a document profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off smart guides worked for me. Wish I could use smart guides without snap, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm at my wits end. I'm using Illustrator cc2020 on a new iMac and i cannot for the life of me turn off snapping to points. All options under the view menu are turned off. Smart guides are turned off, magnet menu stuff is all turned off. WTH?

Here's a dropbox link to a screen recording of the aforementioned BS which Illustrator is displaying:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71yvg9yssc39jz6/WTF.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only way I could figure to stop snapping to points was to lock all other layers / objects that were being snapped to. Obviously doesn't work for the shape you're actually working on, but hopefully your task doesn't require many points right near to eachother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - I was about to reset the preferences when I thought I'd try something. Apologies if it was mentioned below. But surprising to me was that when I turned off SMART GUIDES, the problem went away. Prior to that, I turned off snap to grid, point and even that weird magnet icon on the right side of the toolbar. I unchecked all of those. But it wasn't until I turned off SMART GUIDES that the snapping stopped. Well, now I know what we are paying those big bucks for every month. So that Adobe can come up with new and inventive ways to fix what's not broken and add annoying things like excessive snap functions. WTF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Well, now I know what we are paying those big bucks for every month. So that Adobe can come up with new and inventive ways to fix what's not broken and add annoying things like excessive snap functions. WTF"

Smart Guides were introduced with Illustrator 8 in 1998. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frustration with same problem for weeks, and finally it was solved, everything was on the transform panel,

- uncheck align to pixel grid or align new object to pixel grid

That working for me,

just sharing my experience

Snap Bug_Ai.jpgSnap Bug_Ai.jpgSnap Bug_Ai_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for versions from many years ago. Align to pixelgrid has been removed from the Transform panel since CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou. Smart guides was the culprit for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the snapping finally went away when I unchecked "Highlight anchors on mouse over" under "Selection & Anchor Display" in Preferences. I'm on Illustrator 25.0, but have been dealing with this for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much this was driving me crazy, I had tried everything else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.38.28 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines