Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator cc 2019 not opening files

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Macbook Pro

Just installed the newest version of Illustrator and one in every 4 files I try to open lags, or copies the current artboard I'm in and uses the filename for the file I tried to open. It's happening quite a bit, and sometimes if I wait long enough the document will actually populate with it's correct artwork. Most of the time I'm having to close and restart the program.

Is there anything I can do on my end to resolve this?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

My problem was solved by installing version 23.0.1.

Windows latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I also use Illustrator CC 2019 and everytime when I open a file (from the finder or the library-overview) it doesn't appear in Illustrator. But when I want to "reopen" the file it says, the file is already open.
The only way around I found for this moment is to go to window > arrange >  float all in windows – and then all the files appear.
It works – but it is annoying to do this all the time. And as soon as you want to “snap" the windows into the main-Illustrator-window, all the windows disappear again .

I hope we will find a proper solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also the same problem! Please help Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk about counter-productive. It would be great if Adobe actually consulted with real designers and graphics professionals and had them preview new or "updated" versions of their CC software prior to unleashing their annoying "fixes" to non-existent User Experience issues... like opening an existing document. MacBook Pro and iMac both have issues with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Ich bin am Dienstag, 27. November 2018 wieder in der Agentur. Ihre E-Mail wird nicht bearbeitet – bitte kontaktieren Sie in dringenden Fällen meine Komplizen via 041 260 55 82.

Beste Grüsse

Carla Maurer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too - thank you for pointing out a way of working around it at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Have you tried the steps I shared above? Also, please try unchecking "Automatic graphics switching" from System Preferences > Energy Saver.

macos-sierra-mbp-system-preferences-energy-saver-automatic-graphic-switching.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@piusb60348394

your work around worked for me, but as you said, click on any of the toolbars and your artboard window goes behind that homepage. Extremely annoying.

Crickets from adobe?

Even though it's well documented:

Can't open files properly – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Open File - Can't see document, window/tab missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I had the smae problem and this totally solved it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, I notice that sometimes it helps to close other adobe programs to open an illustrator file.

MAJOR ISSUE ADOBE, help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was solved by installing version 23.0.1.

Windows latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ please help, my AI Version 23.0.1 (64-bit) stop working again.

The application starts and goes to the initial panel, after that it wont open any files,

For single files files don't open by clicking on their icons, it would launch the application but the files wont open.

The application freezes while trying to open files, it was working well before, I have an antivirus and everything seems to be fine.

System:

Graphics card:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Every 4th file or so will open a new document window, but will only show the previous document. Then all other open document widows will be stuck on whatever that last document was. It's not a issue of speed, since I have allowed time for the windows to open correctly. Running on a iMac 16GB High Sierra. I did install the most recent update, but it didn't fix this issue. I will have to go back to using the 2018 release until this is fixed because it is causing lost time on deadline orders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue!! WTF. This is a terrible bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing today. I had just quit Illustrator and then noticed something I had to fix in that file, so I tried to reopen the file just now by double-clicking it in the Finder. Illustrator started to open, then I got the Home Screen with "Let's design great graphics today" and some recent files down below. Nothing was open, so I tried clicking on the thumbnail of the file is was trying to open in the Recent list at the bottom of the screen. Nothing. Then I tried clicking the "Open..." button in the top left, navigated to and selected my file, but got a message telling me that the file was already open.

Quitting (again) and reopening seems to have worked this time (open Illustrator by itself, via the Dock icon, not double-clicking the .AI file icon; then click the Recent file thumbnail), but lots of issues throughout the CC apps since the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this. I would request if you can share a few more details:

• Operating System( Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • What happens if you restart Illustrator? Does it solve the issue?
  • Where the files are saved? (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD), Save them to Desktop and check what happens.
  • Try resetting preferences manually:

For MAC

1. Close all Adobe applications.
  2. Go to Locations
  3. ~/Library/Caches
  4. ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  5. ~/Library/Preferences
  6. Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders.
  7. Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

For Windows

1. Close all Adobe applications.
  2. Go to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  3. Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders.
  4. Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Srishti:

• Operating system: Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6
  • Does restarting Illustrator solve the issue?: sometimes, but not always (sometimes requires a different method/procedure of opening)
  • Where are the files saved?: My laptop's internal SSD (I am using a late 2011 MacBook Pro that I upgraded a few years ago with a 1 TB Crucial SSD [originally came with a 250 or 500 GB HDD]). I have 581.2 GB of space available (of 1.02 TB).
  • I will try resetting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find these locations on my iMac. Did a search etc found nothing -- your path was a dead-end.

I have Mac OS Mojave Version 10.14.

advice please.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deemwhy  schrieb

I cannot find these locations on my iMac.

your User Library is hidden because Apple doesn't trust you to be able to handle it. You first need to show it.

How to Show the User Library Folder in OS X Mavericks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deem,

Open Finder, Click Go > Go to Folder, it will open a Dialog Box where you can type this location:

Image result for go to folder mac user library

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Ich bin am Dienstag, 27. November 2018 wieder in der Agentur. Ihre E-Mail wird nicht bearbeitet – bitte kontaktieren Sie in dringenden Fällen meine Komplizen

Beste Grüsse

Carla Maurer

[PRIVATE INFO REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your message.

I'm back at the agency on Tuesday, November 27, 2018. Your e-mail will not be processed - please contact my accomplices in urgent cases via [PRIVATE INFO REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Best regards

Carla Maurer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Srishti:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) High Sierra 10.13.6

What do you rename the preference files to?

thanks, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Just rename it to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders.old.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thankyou.

I have found that it works if I open it directly from the CC App, rather than from the Mac Apps…

Cheers, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines