Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator cc 2019 not opening files

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Macbook Pro

Just installed the newest version of Illustrator and one in every 4 files I try to open lags, or copies the current artboard I'm in and uses the filename for the file I tried to open. It's happening quite a bit, and sometimes if I wait long enough the document will actually populate with it's correct artwork. Most of the time I'm having to close and restart the program.

Is there anything I can do on my end to resolve this?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

My problem was solved by installing version 23.0.1.

Windows latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After today's update I am having this issue.

There is no file in library that I can find entitle Application Support/Adobe. (library>caches/??)

I did uncheck that automatic graphics switching toggle. Still having issues.

~ restarted program. Works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue on Apple computers. The original post was from 17th October and it's now almost 3 months in and still happening.

I've done all the various workarounds (which to be frank I shouldn't have to), works for a while then goes back to the same glitch. So I have to quit everything and restart Illustrator, Again fine for a while, then reverts to type.

This version of illustrator has been seriously buggy and should never have been released until some of these kinks were ironed out. As a professional designer, I've got better things to do with my time than to have to constantly keep checking these forums for workarounds for issues I keep coming across. I'd rather wait another 6 months to have an actual working piece of software than to be updated every year for what, for a huge company like Adobe, is a pretty garbage product.

For all those in the same boat, I'd recommend using the older version of illustrator as a good solution until this version actually works as  it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Srishti

I have  iMac 27inch, late 2012. Running MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6.

I am also suffering the problem where I open a file, but I can't see it. If I open it again, it says it is already open. They sometimes appear if I put Illustrator into full screen mode, but they don't appear in standard viewing mode.

I have to rename the Library folders every time I restart my Mac. This is really inconvenient and time consuming. Please help me out with some idea of what I can do to rectify the situation.

Regards, Shaughn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shaughn,

Does it help if you check "Application Frame" in Window menu?

Application frame MAC.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Following this thread. I actually UNCHECKED Application Frame and the 5 windows that I opened finally appeared. Not sure if that will help with a fix.

-D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to drizzydrake.  I UNCHECKED the Application Frame and just like magic all my windows appeared!  Thanks so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here  i have been just opening a new empty document and then closing it ..and

most of the time my original window will appear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having these problems even after suggestions from @srishtib8795206. (tried twice to be sure)

The only way I've found to get this to work is by sometimes clicking on the "arrange documents" button on the top bar. Again, the files  are already open, but Illustrator is simply not displaying them without fidgeting with the program.

I hope this bug has been submitted to and is being processed by the support team... as it's odd & a very frustrating behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you have it working on version 23.0.1  However, my problem began when I installed v23.0.1.

I hope Adobe fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the undisplayed windows issue, I noticed while updating via CC, it was trying to make two updates each for various apps (Photoshop, Illustrator and Media Encoder). For each of these apps, the first update was later version than the second (I can't recall what the exact versions were), meaning it was updating to the most recent, then overriding with an earlier version.

I ended up uninstalling all versions of these apps (via the CC app), restarting my Mac, then reinstalling it again. To be completely clean, I also selected the option to remove preference settings as well. Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, super annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Same problem, super annoying...

In case you want to get help on this issue, you will need to tell us more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. It only started for me after downloading Version 23.0.1   

I talked with Adobe about it and some other issues and we reset preferences in ~Library which did not help this particular problem.

The problem is:

On my main art board page (where my tools are etc) I have multiple artboard windows "attached" to that main art board page.

When I open other new artwork documents, the name of the document appears at the top like it should, however the artwork does not appear. Nothing appears actually... Its only when I select the name and "pull" it off the art board does the artwork and window appear as normal, if I go to reattach the artwork to the main board, it will disappear again.

Hope that explained it well enough. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevinw53233952  schrieb

Hope that explained it well enough. Thanks

Unfortunately: no.

Please show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't happen every single time. But when I can recreate the situation I will snap a picture and post it with explanation.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just experiencing this problem now after updating in the new year. Really not impressed with Adobe -- your upgrades aren't very useful, you're just messing with something that already works. Will be downgrading back to an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issue, after having to get a new 2018 MacBook Pro recently (my late 2011 one started having major display issues). I'm wondering if my problem migrated during initial setup (Migration Assistant from old laptop to new).

Current specs:

MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2018)

Processor: 2.9 GHz Core i9

Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I've thought about uninstalling and trying to install fresh, but I did that for Acrobat (which is having its own issues that I won't get into here) and noticed no improvement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BriGuyAG  schrieb

Still having the same issue, after having to get a new 2018 MacBook Pro rec

Have you already posted in this thread?

So Illustrator does launch?

Can you create new files?

Is it all files that don't open or just some?

Do you have any thrid party plugins?

Font management?

Where are your files stored?

Do you have a printer set up as default printer, connected and turned on? This is important. Illustrator needs a printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did, back in November. Posts #7 & 10:

Yes, Illustrator launches.

Yes, I can create new files.

It seems to occur randomly with any/all files.

Plugins/font manager: I use Suitcase Fusion (up-to-date), which has automatic font activation plug-ins for the Adobe apps I use.

Files stored on my internal hard drive (1 TB Flash storage) -- 530.08 GB of 1 TB available.

I usually see this happen when I'm working in InDesign and I want to edit a placed Illustrator graphic via right/control-click -> Edit Original. But it also happens when I simply double-click on an AI or EPS file in a Finder window to open it in Illustrator.

Don't know, re: printer. I don't typically print anything, myself. I generally export PDFs and send them off to be printed. There is a network printer at the co-working space I work out of (though I've never been able to print to it remotely, for some reason -- I always have to save files to a USB drive and plug that in and print from that, when I do need to print anything). It's selected as my default printer in my System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners. Not sure why Illustrator would need this to just open a file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BriGuyAG  schrieb

Not sure why Illustrator would need this to just open a file...

Me neither. I only know that it solves issues for people setting up a printer. Illustrator doesn't like printer queues either.

If you don't have a real printer, set up a PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not open view like as Illustrator 11 in CC 2018Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Help Me.......

How this view CC 2018Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pangkajm88730927  schrieb

Please Help Me.......

How this view CC 2018Capture.PNG

So you're missing a preview on your Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem for some time.... Come on Adobe issue a update to fix this has been 3 months!!!!

MBP 2014

Mojave 10.14.1

2.8 i7

16gb 1600 DDR3

Geforce GT 750M 2048mb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rugnugdo  schrieb

Having the same problem for some time.... Come on Adobe issue a update to fix this has been 3 months!!!!

MBP 2014

Mojave 10.14.1

2.8 i7

16gb 1600 DDR3

Geforce GT 750M 2048mb

Is a printer connected, set up as default printer and turned on?

Where are the files located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines