Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC Crashes on Launch

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm having trouble running Illustrator CC. After downloading it from Creative Cloud, it launches properly (I see the splash screen), and then after about a second or two, it crashes ("Adobe Illustrator CC has stopped working..."). No other Adobe products have this issue - Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, etc. all run fine, it's only Illustrator. It happens when I run the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I thought maybe the installation was corrupted so I uninstalled Illustrator, restarted the computer a few times, and then reinstalled, but I'm still running into this. I've also tried signing in and out of Creative Cloud, per other help threads I've found.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB ram, 3.4 GHz Intel i7 processor.

Let me know if I can provide any further information - any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having an issue with this as well. I am going to send you a print screen via dropbox.

I performed step one and step two but am continuing to get this message.

Desperately trying to complete college homework but this is a critical impediment.

Can you HELP???

CarbsScreenshot 2016-01-24 10.30.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer at this time is to open the CC app, uninstall Illustrator. Then, in the "Find Additional Apps" section under the APPS tab, choose "view previous versions". Then install a previous version of illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the exact same message. And yes I'm on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue as the other users. I am also getting the error loading plugins: Place Gun Tool (core) when I load Illustrator holding down the shift key.  I just sent you a link to the illustrator dump file using Dropbox.

Thanks,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Can we have a connect session ? If it is possible for you please do let me know your preferred time, I will schedule accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am available at your convenience to do a screen share. I am in Mountain Time Zone (MST) -7. I can do a screen share anytime between 10am and 10pm any day. Just let me know a time and I will be available.

Kind regards,

Jeff O'Malley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hijack this post but I have been unable to open my Illustrator CS6 since Friday.  I had been using it just an hour before and then boom.. it won't open.

I have a project due tomorrow and I really need Illustrator. I opened a forum question the other day but so far nothing. I have now uninstalled and then reinstalled Illustrator and still nothing.  It seems to crash when it gets to initializing the plugins but never the same plugin.  I was messing with my fonts and deleted a font that was corrupt.. and now I am wondering if that was the issue.. but the reinstall should have fixed that.

Please, I am ready to pay *some* $$$s to fix it but I am a student and just do not have a lot of cash.

If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the link to my previous post.

Re: My Illustrator CS6 will not launch

I am using Windows 7 and Illustrator CS6... and it is up to date.

Thank you  in advance.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kim,

Something similar was happening to me. Here is what worked for me:

I had previously tried printing using a previously never used printed and for some reason the drivers perhaps did not install correctly. In Windows > Control Panel > Devices and Printers > I changed my default printer back to previous settings (i.e. Microsoft XPS Document Writer or other default). After that I was able to re-open illustrator and use it with no issue.

I hope you find a solution to your problem!

- Victor G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vtorgonz: Why on earth does this work!? THANK YOU SO MUCH <333 I tried so many other things, and your suggestion seemed the most unlikely to work, but it did!!! Amaze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this FINALLY worked for me too. Thank you. Can someone push this all the way up so others can immediately see this as a possible solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raghuveeer,

I am available at your convenience to do a connect session.  I am located in the Mountain time zone (MST) -7.  I can do a connect session between 10am and 10pm MST.

Kind regards,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue as Kevin.  I've had a ticket open since Thursday and nobody seems to be able to help.  Illustrator crashes just like the video he posted.  This has happened ever since the last update.  I even restore my laptop to factory, and reinstalled and it did not help.

Thanks for any ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on Mac OS, so it's obviously Adobe's bad programming at work here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6152826

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved I am having the same problem. It started for me yesterday. I ran a dump file as suggested and posted it to dropbox. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49564157/Illustrator%20%282%29.DMP

I went throught some of these steps last evening and nothing helped. I uninstalled illustrator and reinstalled, made sure I updated it 17.1.0. I disabled the video card, nothing changed. This morning I made sure my windows system was updated and re-created the .DMP file when I attempted top open Illustrator again and got the same message. "Adobe illustrator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

The one thing I know that is different since yesterday is I hooked up my logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (MX5500). I am running a windows 7 system (SP1).

This is making me crazy because I depend on illustrator so if anyone has resolved this I'd loved the directions to correct this. I recently had to do a factory reset on my  windows install so this is a realtivly new CC install to begin with. I am only having this issue with illustrator.

One other message I get when starting up is my system is "Another instance of distiller is staring up. This instance cannot continue." That is the only other clue I have to the problem.

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update this last post I have removed the entire CC Suite run the adobe cleaner and reinstalled and I still cannot get illustrator to actually open a file. I get no messages when I open holding the shift key but as soon as I try to open a file, create a new file the program crahses. I was able to start my sytem in safe mode and open a file in illustrator that way but I can't just work in safe mode all the time. I'm desparate here as I have several projects that require me to use illustrator. I have to assume some app I have installed is a problem since it seems to work in safemode. I removed the logitech setpoint software and connected with the built in bluetooth and I removed the dropbox app, nothing helps, so weird how it was working just fine and then it wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem and it is driving me crazy. I depend on Ai to work! I went through all the posts and tried everything but nothing is working. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I've downloaded the trial version of Ai to see if it's worth buying and so far I'm woefully unimpressed. It crashes every time I launch it. How do you actually make it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ilustrator CC and now CC 2014 are also crashing on startup for me. I rang tech support this morning. Was on the phone for almost two hours with a technician who took control of my Mac through Adobe Connect.

He threw out preferences, had me uninstall Suitcase Fusion (I have a lot of fonts) and tried a bunch of other stuff and then he just disappeared! I was invited to leave the Adobe Connect room (on screen) and this guy just hung up!

Illustrator launches (splash screen, toolbar) but the moment I move my cursor it crashes. I've uninstalled it twice, reinstalled it, thrown out preferences but still I can't work with Illustrator. This is becoming a real issue. Like everyone else here, I have work to do, and can't! What's going on Adobe?

An update.

I've just relaunched Illustrator while holding down the shift+option+command keys one more time and I know have an open, functioning Illustrator (for the moment, at least). I had tried these keys on several earlier attempts without sucess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phoinixweiss.

Thank you for your help. I did havev a couple of old Wacom drivers that I have removed. I then quit Illustrator to test this. I should have left well enough alone! Illustrator has gone back to crashing on launch. So I'm going to go through the process again. Uninstall Illustrator, clean up my computer (repair permissions etc) restart, reinstall Illustrator and keep my fingers crossed. If you are reading this Adobe  this performance is not good enough. You might get excited about your shiny new updates but we have work to do AND CAN'T!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! This did it for me. Uninstalled my Wacom drivers (haven't used my drawing tablet in a while anyway). Definitely recommend this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to tell you this solved my issue of Illustrator crashing upon launch. (I use Mac OS Yosemite and was having this problem.) I had uninstalled, reinstalled over and over and this is what finally did it.  Thank you!

Illustrator CC crashes at launch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pheonixweiss

Thank you for your help. I'm using a mac and followed the instructions but also cleared out these Wacom files (i'm no longer using any wacom tablet)

WacomMultiTouch.framework

WacomNetscape.plugin

WacomTabletPlugin.plugin

Illustrator seems to be working fine at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does anyone from Adobe care about this? Because I've tried everything and nothing works. I have work to do and right now CC in incredibly unimpressing. Why make something with a glaring fault and not respond to users requests for help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines