Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC crashes when saving

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I became a member of Adobe Creative Cloud a few days ago.
Today I started working in Illustrator CC, but it really bothers me that everytime I save my doccument it crashes.
Well, at least, it says that it crashes, but if I wait a couple of minutes it works again and it saved my procress.

Also when I close the program and open it again, it already crashes before I have done anything.

This is very anoying, and I wondered if I am the only one having this problem?

I am working on a Windows 7 computer, and with Illustrator CS6 I didn't had this problem at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check privileges.

And maybe do a hardware check on your disk.

You do save to your disk and not to a server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in to say that I'm having the same problem as Adanja. I'm also on a Windows 7 computer and I also didn't have issues with Illustrator CS5 or CS6 crashing while saving. I'm saving locally. Programs crashing on my computer is isolated to Illustrator CC, so I'm fairly positive that it's not a hardware issue.

In my experience, it seems to happen more frequently in any files that have slightly complex text handling. I have a file with a text frame that has some simple text functions (different fonts, different sizes, custom tracking, resizing by percent, baseline shift, and before-and-after paragraph spacing) that will crash my Illustrator CC every time when I save it. If I copy the text frame to a new blank document and save it, Illustrator will still crash.

Fortunately Illustrator does seem to fully save the document before it crashes. This silver lining allows me to get by -- I simply work on one document at a time and let Illustrator crash whenever I need to save a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have font management?

Any plugins?

Tahoma and Verdana installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Yes, I do use Suitcase Fusion 5 for font management. Both Suitcase and the Adobe CC apps are as up-to-date as possible. I don't have any other plugins.

Yes, I do have Tahoma and Verdana installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still issues with Illustrator and Suitcase

I don't think the update has been published yet, but you could ask here, as it looks like Extensis is watching that one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5267426

I would try if it works when Suitcase is OFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Yes, you were right—there are still issues with Illustrator and Suitcase.

At the system level, I don't think Suitcase has an "off button," but I was able to save without crashing by disabling the Suitcase plugins (both 32- and 64-bit) for Illustrator. For the record, I've been running 64-bit Illustrator CC.

Thanks both Monkia and Jacob for your suggestions. I'll just leave the Suitcase plugins for Illustrator turned off until some update to either program mentions a fix specifically for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monaka,

I am running the 64-bit Illustrator CC. I do save to my disk and not to the server,
and I think a hardware check isn't the solution because other programs on my pc work fine.

I don't use Suitcase, I checked my plugins and I don't have any plugins running. So this can't cause the problem either.

I do have installed multiple fonts, including Verdana and Tahoma. But I don't have font management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adanja wrote:

and I think a hardware check isn't the solution because other programs on my pc work fine.

Illustrator tends to be more sensitive than other software.

Is a printer connected, is it running, is the driver up to date and is the printer set up in the system?

Illustrator looks for a printer every time you open a document and when closing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause wrote:

Adanja wrote:

Illustrator tends to be more sensitive than other software.

Is a printer connected, is it running, is the driver up to date and is the printer set up in the system?

Illustrator looks for a printer every time you open a document and when closing it.

Solution from Monika works. I`ve been dealing with this issue for a long time and finally everything wroks fine! Thank you very much Monika! It was extremly unlikely for me that a simple home printer would cause such problem. I have my printer connected do PC through a router and it was ofline. I`ve just simply turn on the printer and than Illustrator, as well as the 32bit and the 64bit version, started to work properly. There are no more crashes in 64 bit ver while I`m saving a new file. Also 32 bit ver let me open everything. I recommend you guys to check your hardware especially printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked for quite some time on this, and finally figured out what the problem was in my case. Each text frame in Illustrator is like a paragraph in InDesign in that it can have only one paragraph style assigned to it. If you want to vary the text in a text frame, you can use character styles, just like you would if you wanted to change some text in a paragraph in InDesign. But you can't do what I was doing: Have a multiline text frame in which one line is assigned one paragraph style and another line is assigned another paragraph style. It seems like you can get away with it until you try to save the document and it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're completely right, James. I had the same problem, and without changing anything else, I split my paragraph-styled paragraphs up into separate text frames, and the file saved without crashing. Brilliant deduction. Is this considered a bug (i.e. will it ever be corrected)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adanja, Cliff,

You may try the following (you may have tried/done some of them already) and see whether it helps (the following is a general list of things you may try when the issue is not in a specific file; 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt preferences):

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to 3 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, and 11) is about font caches);

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool, and reinstall.  http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there actually any Adobe support on this? I am having similar issues when saving files. I work on an iMac and no matter what file I'm saving its like rolling the dice on whether Ill is going to save or not.

Frankly every proposal here is not a solution at all. It seems like Adobe makes us do all the work to support THEM putting out a half baked product to force users to go to the cloud. I don't care where I'm saving to. The program should save locally or on a network. I don't want to have to clear prefs and move folders to make sure my prog  does what it's supposed to do properly. I never ran into an issue like this before and my productivity slips every time this happens.

I don't have many programs that are apparently affecting some of you in regards to font managers either. While I unserstand that sometimes programs interacted poorly with one another I can get around that till a fix is provided. Simple fact is we are doing all the legwork to get issues fixed using hacks and work arounds and this is a very big issue as of lately. It took over 4 months for Adobe to correct an issue with PS CC regarding hidden and locked layers being selected while trying to selct all visible unlocked layers and no one would tell the communities when the expected fix was and they downplayed it as a bug  instead of an actual broken mess. I'm getting tired of Adobe using their weight in the feild to do as they please and hide behind public trading legal BS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've the same problem when, as far as I know, I save my document in svg format, or when I close it (but after saving).

The Win7 error popup windows reports a "Save4Web.aip" module error.

I've installed Illustrator CC few days ago, no plugins or custom settings applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add my 2 pence worth, same here, every time I save I get 'not responding' if I try to save a new file to the server I get 'I/O error has occurred'. Yesterday I had to give up completely as the whole program went into some crash loop, became totally unresponsive and had to be put out of it's misery.

This is causing much frustration, loss of time, loss of work.

Not really good enough Adobe, I've not known instability like this the Win 98/2k era ...

It feels very much like the whole suite has gone downhill since CC thus proving that everyone who said Adobe going over to subscriptions would be bad for the users, were correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

boxofspiders schrieb:

To add my 2 pence worth, same here, every time I save I get 'not responding' if I try to save a new file to the server I get 'I/O error has occurred'.

Illustrator does not like working directly on a server. Save to your hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think we have established that fact. Unfortunately in many professional situations you have no choice but to work to a server.

How about "Illustrator does not like working directly on a server so the developers are working on fixing that code" where we remember that "Illy" has no preferences because "Illy" is a piece of software, one that currently has a lot issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem here and I'm saving locally. Illustrator did not used to do this on my same machine and then ALL OF A SUDDEN I get "not responding" when I save when Illustrator is the only program open... all of my graphics drivers are totally up to date and I'm on an HP Workstation with plenty of power for this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem

running windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have design premium 5.5.

i have i Mac and using macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Recently Illisturator shutting down when I was changing save path directory.

I didn't see photosop, indesign..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not help you - but could be worth a try -

I was experiencing very similar issue with Illustrator CC. Trying to save a simple file caused it to hang. Trying to open a file caused it to hang. I'd tried full uninstall and reinstall using Adobe tools - spent 2 hours on the phone to Adobe Support... nothing worked. Found this post after hours and hours of search... thought - why not:

Deleted the ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

Presto - Illustrator back in action!!

Reposting this here in case it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHERE CAN WE FIND THAT SIR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

this problem still occurs regularly.

I am also working on a high end rig (RTX 4090, ryzen 9 7950x, 60gb ddr5 ram, 10000/10000 m.2).

I'm a 3D artist, and I find it peculiar that the only softwares that cause me massive headaches are Adobe's -

the on paper lightest 2D workflows.. Even a FREE 3D software like Blender performs multitudes better in 2D (!!!) workflows than your software. And don't get me started on After Effects..

I note that with ever-more performance-demanding content, your software has been performing linearly worse and worse. As if there's been no significant change in the core backend mechanics of your software-family? As if all development is focused on "New Cool Features" to win new customers? Adobe has seemingly forgotten the core selling point of offering Professional Software - because as of now, I would never recommend your software to a single Professional..

Hoping you guys get your act together, even though I am doubtful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines