Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC Crashing on MacOS High Sierra

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Today Illustrator keeps crashing and rendering my Mac unresponsive. All I've been doing is opening files and trying to hide layers or copying and pasting (nothing fancy and nothing I haven't done before without issue). It doesn't seem to matter what actions I try to perform, it still crashes, leaving the cursor spinning and the Mac totally unresponsive. The only recent change is to apply the most recent security update via the Mac App store updates. I have applied all the available updates for Illustrator.

Please help, sob sob

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Are you running the program as part of a network that might have software running in the background for virus protection or a firewall? If so try and disconnect from it and see if the problems persist when running completely locally. If the program does run better this way then speak to your network administrator to see if there is something incompatible running in the background while you're trying to work.

If it's not a network issue then you might want to try trashing your preferences.

To do so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.3) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.3, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If that doesn't help, try steps shared on this help article and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the program as part of a network that might have software running in the background for virus protection or a firewall? If so try and disconnect from it and see if the problems persist when running completely locally. If the program does run better this way then speak to your network administrator to see if there is something incompatible running in the background while you're trying to work.

If it's not a network issue then you might want to try trashing your preferences.

To do so:

With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your service!  THANKYOU!!!! I'm

back in business!

Kind Regards,

Paulitta Zito

Managing Director

[Personal info removed by Mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill. I reached out via a live chat to Adobe and they identified it was preferences, permissions and the use of GPU. They remoted in and so far so good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar issue. I recently updated to High Sierra, Illustrator would always crash. I've updated Illustrator to its latest version, still crashing. I've followed Bill's advice to delete the preferences folder, and still not working. Can I please get some help?

Thanks,

Raquel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator does crash on launch?

Then please try and delete the OOBE folder as described in here:

"Unknown Server Error" when logging in to Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have been experiencing a similar issue. Whenever I'm in Illustrator, my screen will go black and I cannot wake my computer. Sometimes it will even restart itself. During the course of following your instructions, I came across two preferences folders within Illustrator. One is titled: Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings and the other is: Adobe Illustrator Library 24 Settings. (There are also 3 Adobe Illusgtrator 23 Settings folders) Please see the attached screen shot for reference. Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 6.49.54 AM.pngShould I delete the entire Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folder along with the com.adobe.Illustrator.plist files only?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having the exact problem as the person above. Are there any solutions. Very frustrating while working. This is happening with all my Adobe products which I've updated to Creative Cloud 2020 and running on OS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.3) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.3, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If that doesn't help, try steps shared on this help article and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines