• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC2020 will not open file directly upon double clicking on macOS Catalina

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I double click .ai files on my desktop, Illustrator will open, but not the file. To open the file, I have to double click the .ai file on my desktop again. Does anyone share this problem/know a solution?

Illustrator 24.1

MacOS 10.15.1

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I trid to replicate this on my end but I could not. Illustrator is working as expected. I'd recommend resetting the Illustrator preferences once. Please follow instructions on help article 

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, except I'm unable to open files by double-clicking on them, regardless of the circumstances. This is a major workflow headache for me.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

Things I've done:

1) Installed pending Windows update. DIDN'T HELP
2) Downloaded and installed NVIDIA graphics driver from ASUS (groan). DIDN'T HELP
3) Deleted AI prefs. DIDN'T HELP
4) Re-associated file types with AI 2021 using right-click Open With and using the Control Panel. DIDN'T HELP
5) Made sure I have admin access to AI 2021. DIDN'T HELP
6) Uninstalled and reinstalled all CC and all CC apps using the Cleaner tool. DIDN'T HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

illustrator-quit.PNG

I also get this message if I try more than once. (That is, if I try double-clicking, it doesn't work, and then I try double-clicking agian.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines