• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator changes size of the image when you paste it

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PNG file (310x150 px, 96 ppi). When I pasted it into Illustrator it changed its size to 232,5x112,5 px. I assume that Illustrator has converted its resolution from 96 ppi to 72 ppi, that's why the size has changed. 

I've noticed it only after the last update and can't say how long it exists.

Is it possible to fix? I wish the size of the image stays without changes.

My current Illustrator version is 24.2 (64-bit).

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

The higher the resolution, the more pixels are put into an inch, the smaller the image.

Compare these images with the same amount of pixels but with different resolutions (ppi: pixels per inch).

resolution.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

"When you create file you choose from 72, 150, 300 ppi, can you change it after the file was created and where can you see this settings?"

That is the document raster effects resolution. You can change it under the Effect menu.

It only affects raster effects (drop shadow, inner glow etc.). It has no effect on the resolution of images you place in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Links panel.

You will see that the image is correctly placed at 96 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Аннотация 2020-06-17 234700.pngIt makes me so confused. I see at Transformation window that image has one size and at the same time I see the Link panel with another size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The higher the resolution, the more pixels are put into an inch, the smaller the image.

Compare these images with the same amount of pixels but with different resolutions (ppi: pixels per inch).

resolution.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've never used this panel before, so couldn't see all the information about the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you know, where can I see in Illustrator the PPI of the file I work in, when it already created? When you create file you choose from 72, 150, 300 ppi, can you change it after the file was created and where can you see this settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ppi is shown as you can see in the Links panel above.

If you scale the image in Illustrator you will change the resolution, because there will be more or less pixels per inch after scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you create file you choose from 72, 150, 300 ppi, can you change it after the file was created and where can you see this settings?"

That is the document raster effects resolution. You can change it under the Effect menu.

It only affects raster effects (drop shadow, inner glow etc.). It has no effect on the resolution of images you place in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines