Highlighted

Illustrator changes the ppi of an image when i rotate it.

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i've been having this issue for quite some time now. Whenever i place an image into my illustrator file and then rotate it, the ppi changes. It's caused issues with our printing facility as they won't print when the artwork is less than 300ppi. Can someone help me with this issue? I'm attaching screenshots for reference.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator changes the ppi of an image when i rotate it.

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i've been having this issue for quite some time now. Whenever i place an image into my illustrator file and then rotate it, the ppi changes. It's caused issues with our printing facility as they won't print when the artwork is less than 300ppi. Can someone help me with this issue? I'm attaching screenshots for reference.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, but if I save such a rotated image in a PDF file, Acrobat preflight shows the correct resolution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 1
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a bug. If you verify the Dimensions, that values don't change so the resolution is not affected.

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 1
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's caused issues with our printing facility as they won't print when the artwork is less than 300ppi."

1. It's a false report caused by the software's inability to account for pixels that have been rotated off the pixel grid, even after they are re-rotated back into alignment. This is one in a series of reasons Illustrator can be considered an inferior choice for composing layouts that include raster images.
  2. Disallowing anything under 300ppi is a ridiculous restriction to apply in such blanket fashion. The ubiquitous 300ppi rule-of-thumb is a dumbed-down catch-all intended for people with limited understanding of image-to-print mechanics. It's disheartening to hear of print professionals who don't know better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is a day late and a dollar short.

If you rotate your images in photoshop before placing in illustrator, your ppi will show correctly and problem solved.

Now those pesky print professionals can't bark at your files any longer.

Why not convert to a smart object before saving as well?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0