• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Illustrator] Clicking on the arrow to expand or collapse a layer does nothing.

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the arrow to the left of a root layer, it does not expand to show the sub-layers. This is happening with any document I open.

I have tried restarting Illustrator. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any recent change to the program. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and which system is that?

Did you already restart the computer?

Tried to reset the preferences (rename the folder)?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Does that happen with all your files? Also newly created ones?

Can you show a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Layers Panel Options dialog, which can be accessed through the Layers Panel pull-down menu, is "Show Layers Only" checked? If it is than sub-layers can't be opened. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 9.01.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was frustrating me to the point of bringin out my inner bear growl. Thank you so much for this. It's not a complete solution for me in my case, but it helped tremendously.

My layers would only expand if I set the thumbnails to small which do not include a thumbnail image, but adjusting like you were saying I tried playing around with the layer options settings and turned off "objects", and then it worked.

Even though it would be very useful to have that, I can make due with at least having most of the thumnail images showing while still allowing me to expand my layers. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines