Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator could only partially read this file - SOS HELP

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

Ever since I have updated to entire Adobe CC to 2020. 
I have been facing multiple messages with regards to my source files on AI.  The pop-up message indicates " Illustrator could only partially read this file". Files were fine before the updates and after the updates, I cannot access any of my files now.  These are source files and before I get into a “Full Panic” mode, I really hope its a glitch on the latest updates, as I have absolutely no access to my sources other than AI. I have tried the recommended recover steps by opening the AI files on PDF mode then save it as PDF then open on AI again, unfortunately, AI doesn’t read the files.
Adobe Technician, please help in assisting this matter ASAP as I have deadlines. 

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 9.22.22 PM.png

JA
TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

I solved this problem this way.

Edit > Preference > Plug-ins & Scratch Disks > Primary - C:\(or D\), Secondary - C:\(or D\)

I hope this helps.

illustrator error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Definitely worked for me...! (Remember to restart your PC after changing preference settings.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would do is install an older version using the CC app (and make sure to have many backups of these critical files)

Older versions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have just encountered this issue today. It sucks that the IT team never respond promptly, and most of the answer are just copy and paste the guides.

Anyway, I assume this is a bug due to different versions of the software. Like what Ton_Frederiks saif below, install older version of the app, and open the file from it.

Or download Infinity Designer, and open from that app instead.

I hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me three times in the past week, something I'd never seen before. I'm using Illustrator 2019, 23.1.1, and macOS Mojave 10.14.6. The files are stored on a windows-based server. Illustrator 2019 opens most of the illustration, missing some upper layers. Illustrator 2020 opens just the PDF data, which is all there but is a nightmare to have to edit.

Every time, Adobe has been able to quickly recover the files for me, but it's nuts that this keeps happening. Two other illustrators here use the same setup, but never encountered this issue, and no server issues with several designers using InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is humbling, but I think I found the problem. Our file server was full. Usually, Illustrator would give us an error when this happened, but not lately. I'll report back if it turns out that this isn't the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the documents you have are most likely already corrupt.. to take advantage of various automatic recoveries being developed in illustrator upgrade to latest.. or atleast above 24.1..

share a sample file to be looked into by the community.. or share at file@adobe.com..

finally in case you are able to open the file correctly in some version of illustrator do mention the version.. let adobe folks know in which update they broke your file open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Hope you've found some way around this by now. If not, I've discovered that Illustrator won't let you open objects exported from another program (e.g. rhinocerous in my case) if the name of the layer of the object has a special character. For me, the name of the layer in rhino was "balcony/" literally because I missed the enter key and was too lazy to go back and correct it, and it cost me an hour of trying to figure out why the object wouldn't read. I took out the "/" and it read it straight away. This is so stupid and it's beyond me why Adobe hasn't discovered/made a statement about this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this comment literally saved me!!!! Thank you so so much :') It's my finals week and I have no idea why my files keep getting these messages! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the greatest person in the world. You have pulled me out the mud. Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this problem this way.

Edit > Preference > Plug-ins & Scratch Disks > Primary - C:\(or D\), Secondary - C:\(or D\)

I hope this helps.

illustrator error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, this way is working !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you actually typing these values in or do they appear in your drop down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

이 방법은 나를 구했다. twotwo는 천재다!

This method saved me. Twotwo is a genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely worked for me...! (Remember to restart your PC after changing preference settings.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SHIV29649020b734  schrieb:

not working 

So you have a file that you can't open?

Please create a new thread and tell us about the complete situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines